1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to normal.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Aug 8, 2020.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Just sitting outside in the sunshine and the bell ringers in the local church have started up. It suddenly dawned on me that the bells have not been heard for months.

No idea whether it is Grandsire Doubles or Plain Bob Major, but it is a welcome return and lovely to listen to.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I think we all need to be careful about this "returning to normal stuff"

Yes - some things do seem to be as they were before all this started - but it is very deceptive.

You only need to go near a bus or a train or visit any tourist attraction to see that.

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Or try to watch a live theatre/music performance...or any professional sport.

Jolly_Roger15, Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

or get a dentist appointment.

We have a long way to go yet.

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I deliberately keep away from as many things as possible that aren't going to be normal. Then at least I'm not being reminded of the weirdness. When we go out we choose place where there won't be many other people, and we take a picnic. We were going to get an ice cream on our way home yesterday and then my husband wearily said that it wasn't worth dirtying a mask just for an ice cream.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I hope you told him you are allowed to take the mask off to eat?

Jamvic, WB, bonxie and 2 others like this.
  7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Are you sure they're not just getting in practice for the second wave...?

Always look on the bright side and all that, lol.

Jamvic likes this.
  8. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

England are playing a cricket test match against Pakistan at this very moment. Prior to this they played a three match series against the West Indies. Last night Man City beat Real Madrid in the European Champions League. Of course we are not back to normal but we are a lot further towards that state than we were.

9. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

:D

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Are you sure the verger's not just sitting in the bell tower with a ghetto blaster and a pair of earplugs?

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Thank you.

In the OP I was careful not to indicate that we had returned to normal.

[Surprised none of the Dismal Jonahs have made reference to Brexit...]

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Such joy at the sound, and you didn't even have a hunch?

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

No, there was a group of them. I could hear them arguing with each other.

They were having a right old ding dong!

Norsemaid, Ellakits, butties and 8 others like this.
  14. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

Thank you nomad. It's lovely to hear about the simple yet enjoyable snippets of normal that we will come across now and again. Those things that can make our day a little more enjoyable but probably used to take for granted.

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:)

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Our first property was opposite a church. It was the price that clinched it for us, not the proximity of a house of God. On bell ringing night you couldn't bloody hear yourself think, never mind hear the telly. I think church bells are best appreciated at a suitable distance. :)

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

England are losing at Cricket to Pakistan and Manchester City beat Real Madrid last night.

But NO FANS are allowed in the grounds and all the players are living in enclosed "bubbles"

This is NOT normal. Please do not pretend otherwise.

LiamD likes this.
  18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Hadn't even thought of church bells, but yes we've not heard them here for months either.

As it's a Saturday afternoon, do you think it was a wedding? (Do you have to count bellringers as guests for covid numbers?)

19. WB

WB Star commenter

Many aspects of my pre-covid life have now returned. Albeit with masks and distancing.

I still have a permanent sense of unease though. I have some relatives and their 80s and I keep hearing stories of people younger and fitter than me getting Covid and having an awful job shaking it.

The thread title is very clear. Nobody (on here anyway) is pretending it's over. Aberdeen football club on the other hand...

Oscillatingass, ACOYEAR8 and nomad like this.
  20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I did not suggest it was! :rolleyes:

Stone me! Just an innocent post about hearing local church bells for the first time in months...

RETURNING is an ongoing process which has yet to reach completion. I wrote "returning", not "returned" for Christ's sake!

No wonder so many decent posters disappear from these boards when faced with such negativity from the self-appointed horsemen of the bloody apocalypse!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020