1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to MPS/UPS classroom teacher after middle management

Discussion in 'Personal' started by clementinesandbrazilnuts, Aug 5, 2020.

1. clementinesandbrazilnuts

clementinesandbrazilnuts New commenter

I am having a baby in December. I won’t be returning to my current school.

I would like to return to work as a classroom teacher, without additional responsibilities at this point. My worry is these jobs will be snatched up by NQTs. Has anybody at the top of the pay scale managed to get work as a classroom teacher?

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I think it very much depends on the school. In recent years mine has appointed several teachers on UPS to classroom teacher jobs (we do abide by pay portability) as they were the best candidates. Others will not as they want em cheap!

3. clementinesandbrazilnuts

clementinesandbrazilnuts New commenter

Thank you. Would you mind sharing your rough location? Please do not feel worried about ignoring if you’d rather not!

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

South West, Secondary Academy

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

An additional problem at the moment is the issue that there has been very little movement in terms of people changing jobs due to the Covid situation, meaning that those qualifying this summer have struggled to find employment. This might explain why a friend of my daughter has struggled to move school this year (Greater Manchester). She had an interview and was told there had been 120 applicants for the post: classroom infant teaching with no TLR.
    It maybe that eventually, once things move back to nearer normal, there is more movement where job opportunities are concerned.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. vannie

vannie Star commenter

That's interesting @smoothnewt. We had two posts on offer this Summer (Manchester) and to my knowledge, not many applicants at all.
    I have gone from SLT to 'ordinary' classroom teaching successfully. Admittedly this was in 2014, but I also managed to keep my UPS3. My school were luckily looking for someone experienced. I think I was very lucky though.

strawbs likes this.
  7. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Two were appointed at the same time in our department. Both had had TLRs, both are UPS. Experience is valued highly at my school.

strawbs likes this.
  8. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

I'd only want to work at a school like this-whether I was old and expensive (as I am), or an NQT, because this type of school would clearly care about its staff and pupils.
    But, we all need to eat, so sometimes we have to take jobs where we'd choose not to.
    I've known people who tok time out, either for family reasons or personal issues, and they did get good jobs after. Keeping up to date with everything will help, but like everything in life, it comes down to luck.