1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to headship

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by tiredout, Jun 15, 2020.

1. tiredout

tiredout New commenter

I am thinking of returning to a primary headteacher role after nearly two years away from a school based role. I left headship in 2019 and have since worked in a role related to schools but not actually in schools. I left because of some academy politics which made life unbearable.

I really miss working in a school and working directly with children, staff and parents. However, from my work contact with schooll staff, the situation in schools seems even more difficult now than when I left.

A job has come up that I am really interested in.

Do people here find any satisfaction or joy in their jobs? Is it madness to think about going back?

2. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

I guess only you can make that call.
    But applying and going through the process will help you decide...

nomad likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Do you think you may be different after the last two years experience and might tackle the job in a different way? Building experience cant be a bad thing as long as you look after yourself.

4. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

I think the key question is ‘why did you leave?’ I know you talk about politics but all schools, regardless of whether they are maintained, academy etc, have some degree of politics caused by those above.

It IS still an incredibly stressful job as I’ve said many times on this forum. I feel like I’ve pretty much seen everything now and I still struggle to relax.

5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Some good responses on here for the OP- I think it all depends what you find happiness with!
    In your current job are you tasked with working 70-80 hours a week, working from home after you leave site, not having much family time, constantly on call responding to emails and calls, having to attend weekend functions OR do you just want to go back for the salary?

Northhead likes this.
  6. tiredout

tiredout New commenter

Thanks to everybody who responded to this. I still haven't made a decision but it's given me plenty to think about. I was a head for 15 years and there were lots of things in the job I enjoyed. I think I am hankering after those bits of the job, not the whole package! I agree about the politics but 'politics' can also be the creation of extremely hostile work environments and bullying which is what broke me in the end.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

7. deputyjot

deputyjot New commenter

You might have a fresh perspective having had two years out. It might also have given you sufficient time to re-charge your batteries away from the day to day grind and therefore you might find you return with a renewed sense of purpose. Good luck.