1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to England

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by bornsleepy, Jan 4, 2016.

1. bornsleepy

bornsleepy New commenter

Good morning,
    I'm a 45 year old male primary school teacher and have been teaching Y6 at an international school in France for the last 8 years. For personal reasons I will need to return to England in the summer, specifically Somerset, and wonder what my job prospects will be like. Perhaps foolishly I left to teach overseas directly after my PGCE (MFL) in 2008 so will be returning as a NQT. My present school uses the English National Curriculum. Will my age, experience or choice of location have any bearing on my chances of finding a job? Would I be better off seeking employment in the private sector?
    Any feedback would be gratefully received.
    Many thanks.
    Peter

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there @bornsleepy!

Despite the comment on the other forum, being male will not make it easier for you to get a post in primary or elsewhere. it is an illegal discriminator for employment, and many schools will do blind shortlisting - i.e. hiding your personal details - so they won't even be aware of your gender when selecting candidates for interview. And the same goes for your age, although that will be guessed often from the date of your A-levels. Or even, in your case, your O-levels!

Yes, returning to UK after being abroad may be tricky. And Somerset is on the fringes of the area (West Country) where there is very little movement in Primary. However Bristol would be a better bet, although you would have to commute probably.

Yes.

Yes a bit daft . . .

A big advantage, and one that you will need to emphasise.

You should apply to both.

Here is one of the articles that will be helpful, I hope:

Returning to the UK after teaching abroad

And some general advice on Indy schools

8. Working in the Independent Sector

An overview of the Independent sector

Independent Sector FAQs

How much will I earn in the independent sector?

Moving from state to independent

Teachers talk about what it's like working in one Indy School

Doing NQT induction in an independent school

If you need links to job seeking, and job applications advice, just give me a tag @TheoGriff .

Best wishes for 2016

3. bornsleepy

bornsleepy New commenter

Very useful advice, thank you so much for taking the time to reply Theo. Sounds like it's going to be difficult but not, I hope, impossible...
    Thanks again.