1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to being a 'teacher' after being 'HOD' - pay scale?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by BlueDonkey, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Hi

Wonder if anyone can tell me whether there are any guidelines about which MPS you would be placed on if you became a HOD before reaching the top of the MPS, and subsequently relinquished management responsibility and resumed being a 'teacher' without management responsibility? Would you resume on, say, Point 4 if that's where you were before, or would you be placed elsewhere?

Hope that this makes sense...

Thanks for any feedback!

2. Hi

Wonder if anyone can tell me whether there are any guidelines about which MPS you would be placed on if you became a HOD before reaching the top of the MPS, and subsequently relinquished management responsibility and resumed being a 'teacher' without management responsibility? Would you resume on, say, Point 4 if that's where you were before, or would you be placed elsewhere?

Hope that this makes sense...

Thanks for any feedback!

3. You cannot go down the pay spine. You progress up the pay spine each year to reflect your experience of teaching (i.e. number of years). If you had a management role, presumably (but not necessarily always) you had a TLR for that. The TLR rewards you for your extra responsibility. Therefore if you relinquish the responsibility, you will lose your TLR. But you will stay on the same MPS point. Unless you were paid on the leadership scale, then I believe you automatically go onto UPS.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Unless you were placed on the Leadership scale, yoiu would have progressed up the Mainscale every year as usual, witht he additional TLR for the HOD duties.

5. Thanks for the responses!

I work in sixth form, so it's not TLR it's 'management scale' I have been put on, but with a cash deduction because I wasn't at the top of the MPS when I was promoted to HoD

Would I presume that I would return to the point on the pay scale I would be on reflecting the number of years teaching I have completed, if I relinquish HoD duties? From your posts this is what I deduce but wonder if it works for sixth form pay...? Why we have to be different is beyond me!!!

Thanks again

6. Sorry, I haven't come across this before so I don't know if what I said would apply.

7. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

If you have been on the leadership spine, you should automatically be placed at UPS1 (or a higher UPS if you had already achieved this before taking a leadership position).

8. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

maybe try posting on FE forum as most answers here are more relevant to school teachers