1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning School Behaviour Policy Amendments

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sally006, May 29, 2020.

1. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

Does anyone have information to share on how their schools have amended Behaviour policies ready for returning year groups. Examples of key changes to the norm would be really useful especially in terms of expectation and possible sanctions if needed. Thank you.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I don't think we have amended them.

3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

We have added a clause that says that if a returning pupil choses not to abide by the measures put in place(after warnings, reminders, support) they will be subject to exclusion.

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

what is the point of warning, reminders and support? They could have caught the virus from one person and spread it to 20 others by then.

This is life and death, not an ethical debate on the optimal level of discipline for children.

First infringement and they are immediately out, and the parents held accountable.

Sally006 likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

For 5 year olds? Seriously?
    Don't be daft.

This is about educating children not punishing them for acting their age.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  6. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Secondary-wise though, there are youngsters whose malice brings misery to all. I personally hope they stay away. If a student is still unaware of Covid-19, its possibly fatal effects and the rules society has been following then she/he must have been living in a Hebrides cave for the last 6 months. I sincerely hope that infringements will carry a unequivocal message in the form of exclusion.

7. Sally006

Thank you for this. I think for us this would be a most unlikely scenario, however, this is a very serious situation. I’m sure like many on here there are a lot of concerned staff returning despite the scientific advisers that this is “a dangerous time”. I glad our LA is not returning for another 2 weeks but it is still a worry and my view is that Sanctions must be in place. Our normal policy has kids removed from class if continually disruptive. Where they go needs to be discussed as they can’t go to another bubble.

8. Sally006

I think you are correct here. There needs to be a distinction made between those who are so young they inadvertently break the rules and older pupils who do so, However, there still needs to be some intervention in the way we speak to and encourage our youngest to do their very best to comply. It’s crazy this year group returning for these very reasons. I often wonder if the folks who made these decisions and wrote the guidance have ever been in a primary school.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

Absolutely. I agree with you completely and in secondary it might well be fine for a year 9 who spits at another pupil to be sent home immediately.

Though at the moment there isn't a date for secondary schools to reopen as proper schools (just some face to face contact for years 10 and 12) and this thread was posted on the primary board, so presumably expecting answers relevant for primary schools.
    Definitely, but it will be about modelling and teaching, and understanding and forgiving.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.