1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning part time after maternity

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by SR181, May 4, 2017.

1. SR181

SR181 New commenter

Please help! I am wanting to return to work part time (4 days a week) and I have a seen a job advertised at my school for a position like this (2 afternoons off instead) I am wanting to take it. Would my head have to consider me for the position? It is to start in September, however my maternity doesn't finish till January and I do not want to give up 5 months with my baby (LO would only be 6 months if I were to go back then). Can he deny me the change in position because I am unwilling to give up my maternity leave?? Thanks for your help.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you were to put in a flexible working request right now asking to work part-time with two afternoons off each week, it's difficult to see what business objections the head could bring against it, given the job advert. (He might be a little annoyed he didn't know earlier that you wanted to come back part-time, because he might then have advertised differently.) As regards it starting in September, your maternity cover can be offered the reduced contract from September, or given notice and replaced with someone else for that term (if primary, continuity at this particular point is not vital), or they might be able to use them doing intervention for the extra afternoons if it's just the one term.

If your original thinking was that you wanted 4 full days, do check childcare costs for this timetable - 3 and two half days tends to cost more. If you would much rather the four full days, you could put in your flexible working request for that and see what happens.

Either way, it's often worth an informal discussion with the head first: that can tell you what they think, and also give you clues of any arguments they might put up against your application. The standard application format gives you a chance to say what impact your flexible working would have and how this can be addressed, so you can use that to forestall any arguments they might have.

3. SR181

SR181 New commenter

Thank you so much for your reply!

4. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

He has set a precedent so a good time to go in and negotiate.
    The fact that you are willing to be flexible really shows you care about the school too and it will make it harder for him to refuse!
    Good luck. It's a fine balance between enjoying mat leave and trying to plan ahead.
    Do speak to your union all the way, even if things seem to be going in your favour! Also request informally before formally requesting. Be very careful about why you're requesting part time too. It's due to CHILDCARE reasons.