1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning part time after mat leave

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by toastandtea, Aug 29, 2018.

1. toastandtea

toastandtea New commenter

Hi all,
    Am returning to work next week after maternity leave. I’m going to be working 3 days a week with my job share doing the other 2. I need advice on 2 things :
    1) I’ve been told to attend 60% of the INSET days as part of contract even though they all fall on the days I won’t be working. Is this common practice? I’m willing to accept it if this is what everyone does but it just seems annoying that I lose out by the nature of how inset days fall. Obviously the same will apply for parents evenings etc.
    2) how does one manage the job of being a class teacher with a baby? We all know teaching is an all consuming job. How can you manage it so youdo get all your work done but still get time with your child?
    Thanks in advance for your advice

2. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

How did your return to work go?
    I’m in the same position, started back in September after maternity leave. I don’t yet know how to manage teaching and baby. Even though I’m only part time with a very reasonable timetable and lovely school, I’m struggling with the work load. Or rather I’m struggling with the work load of my baby while trying to find any time to do the necessary work.

Teaching was so much easier (! Not true) when I had infinite hours to get done what I wanted to get done.

3. secondjobs_net

secondjobs_net New commenter

Getting back to work after maternity leave is a really a tedious task. That too nature of jobs like the teacher is not only a full time-consuming process but also a natural job that contains out for your energy. One person can manage a part-time job but however in managing your kid cannot be opened because it is not a job it is a responsibility the decision today there we go for a job or take care of you get it is impossible to take care of both the activities.

if you have support from your in-laws that will be of great help if not you need to figure out to employee babysitter and pay them in your opinion instruct paying for the babysitter after making it is an amount of money it is better to spend the golden time with your own create a man have fun with making money at any point in time in your life.

Alternatively, you can register for a part-time job from the websites like
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

1. You cannot be directed to work in any capacity on a day that you do not usually work. This can be awkward if you have recently joined a school/ feel extra grateful for being accommodated as a part timer?!/ there is an existing culture of people doing so. There is however quite clear guidance on this.

2. You should not be told/ directed/ guilt tripped into working on a day you do not usually work. However, if you do so, you should be paid at your regular salaried rate for your time.