1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning part time after illness

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by breadmaker, Jun 7, 2017.

1. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Hi, thanks to anyone who can help me. I have been off since Jan and am due to return to work in September. I have previously worked full time, but considering limitations that I have now been left with, I feel that pt would be more appropriate.
    Can I request such a change before I return to work or do I have to return at my previous status i.e. full time, and then request the reduction once I am back? Also, do I need medical support to make this change or can it be something that I wish to do because it is what I consider to be best for myself.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Anyone can make a request under the flexible working regulations (you don't even have to give a reason), and you could do that at any time. It would be better to ask now, as then it can be taken into consideration in timetabling for September - in secondary, in particular, it is easier to change someone's hours when writing the timetable than later.

Do your limitations come under disability legislation? That might make a difference to how you approach things, and it would be worth talking to your union, I suspect. It may mean that a part-time timetable would come under "reasonable adjustment".

If I were you, I'd be inclined to make contact with the head soon, to say that you're considering the possibility of part-time. If you do that informally, you may get an immediate yes or willingness to discuss what will work for you; if not, you'll have a idea of what objections they may put up to a flexible working request (which can only be turned down for a valid business reason), which then means you can try and address those in your formal request.

Also think about what sort of part-time would work for you. Many part-timers work 2/3/4 full days, but if childcare is not an issue, you might be happier with your reduced timetable spread across the whole week, and that may be easier for the school (again, particularly in secondary).