1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning NQT interview - need a portfolio?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by missbanana, Feb 23, 2016.

1. missbanana

missbanana New commenter

Dear Theo,

I qualified as a primary teacher 3.5 years ago, but have been working in an international school in Egypt due to family commitments and so have not started NQT induction. I am now ready to return to the UK and, thanks to your advice on applications, have some interviews next week.

As I am unfamiliar with recent requirements, could you advise if I should prepare a portfolio to bring to my interview? Should this be on the new teacher standards (my QTS portfolio is on the old ones) or on the job description set by the schools?

Also, is it appropriate to ask the school for more information about the sample lesson? For example, what topic they've been studying, or their levels? The brief I've been given is very... brief!

Many thanks in advance,

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm delighted to hear that you have interviews!

Yes, do ask for more information for the lesson. Ask if any pupils in particular have needs that you should be aware of.

For the portfolio, unless they ask for one, it is not normal. Unless you teach Art, or possibly DT, when it should contain photos of student work as well as your own.

I'm glad that you have been following advice - seen the interview advice too, have you?

Best wishes