1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning governor causing problems

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Long-Time-Governor, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Long-Time-Governor

Long-Time-Governor New commenter

A governor (ex-officio) who had been off sick for more than a year recently attended their first full governors meeting since their return to work.

They were very aggressive throughout the meeting and demanded that some of the decisions that had been voted upon and decided in their absence were re-visited. As Chair I declined to do so.

A couple of days later he sent me probably the rudest email I have ever received in all my years in education. I am not clear what I should do in these circumstances and would welcome any advice.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I would share the e-mail with your fellow governors at the next meeting.

bevdex likes this.
  3. WineOClockYet

WineOClockYet New commenter

Does your school have a Code of Conduct or similar for Governors that can be referred to in this instance?
    In the interests of fairness, is there any chance that this peson is suffering from ill health (physical or mental) that is affecting their judgement?

4. Long-Time-Governor

Long-Time-Governor New commenter

It is possible that the governor in question is not fully recovered from their mental health problems - I am no expert in these matters. But the fact remains that their behaviour has greatly unsettled a number of other governors - to the extend that some have said that they would be uneasy attending further meetings if he were present!

5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

A tricky one.

6. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

You could arrange a meeting with the governor with a witness present to find out what is at the root of the problem. In what capacity is he ex-officio? That would determine what route you could go down next, e.g. if church you could contact the diocese. Your code of conduct should enable you to remind the governor of expected behaviours. If it doesn't, quickly re-write it to include reference to 'respectful' communications between governors. I did just that recently!

7. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Completely agree with ditwee. I have never heard of an ex -officious governor and I would certainly warn him about his future conduct.

8. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

As chair, in order to retain decorum I would have put it to the vote, whether the other governors were willing to revisit their decisions. Whatever your view, democracy should be paramount.

install likes this.
  9. elsiedee2711

elsiedee2711 New commenter

It's also worth pointing out that governors take collective responsibility for decisions made - even if you do not personally agree with them. A governors absence when a decision was taken does not mean they are exempt from this. It is, of course, possible to revisit discussions if it is appropriate (i.e. we have discussed Federation on more than one occasion with different outcomes) but if there has been no significant change then revisiting them seems like an inefficient use of your time as governors.

10. Gimenez2010

Gimenez2010 New commenter

I would have thought that minutes would have been recorded making the absent governor aware of any important talks and or decisions. This would then have given the member the opportunity to possibility contribute or least give his / opinion on any decisions before they were made final. If this was not appropriate maybe guidelines on how decisions are made when certain / any governors are absent could be included in future meetings.

11. Gimenez2010

As far as dealing with the rude email (and if members feel the that the recently returned governor would no respond to verbal instruction) I would suggest sending all members guidelines on professional conduct during meetings especially when communicating via email. I think you would make your point clear.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  12. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

You communicate via e-mail during meetings?

13. Gimenez2010

I refer to the above.