1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning from maternity leave

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by snicksie, Jan 5, 2016.

1. snicksie

snicksie New commenter

I am currently on maternity leave, due to return to work in July. When I go back, are there any stipulations about how long I have to work before going on maternity leave again? Do I need to be back in post for any given time?
    I will be (hopefully) reducing to 0.6 when I go back but will have been there for three years. Will this have any impact?
    Thanks for any advice given.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

3. snicksie

snicksie New commenter

Thanks. I hadn't looked for a pregnancy forum. I've posted there now.
    Thank you!

marlin likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think there is nothing to stop you going on maternity leave again as soon as you want, as you have continuous employment. However maternity pay can be affected if you go too immediately, as it's based on average earnings over a particular period, and if that overlaps your unpaid maternity leave then you lose! I think the "returning for 13 weeks" (pro-rata increase in your case) can be interrupted by a maternity leave, but if you didn't return for long enough after the second child to cover both lots of maternity leave, you'd have to repay the half pay element of your maternity pay. So on the whole, if you plan to return, it's probably best to get the 13 weeks out of the way - and in any case, you might want to see what returning to work with one child is like before deciding on a second!

Middlemarch likes this.