1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning for 13 weeks after maternity

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by ET1984, May 12, 2019.

1. ET1984

ET1984 New commenter

Hi,

I have worked part time (0.5) for the last four years.

If I went on Maternity leave would I have to return for 13 weeks or 26 before I could leave without having to repay my maternity pay?
    Thanks for your time

2. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

Hey, 26 weeks. Or you could ask if you could do full time for 13 weeks? Xx

3. ET1984

ET1984 New commenter

Thank you for your reply.

I’m a bit confused as I asked this question on another forum and was told only 13 weeks as I was already part time.

4. skellig1182

Yeah I just read this. Double check with the union and HR. Perhaps as your maternity pay is less due to working part time before maternity leave, then maybe you can work part time for just 13 weeks. I’m sure it says in all the maternity literature online that you need to work 13 full weeks to keep any enhanced pay. It would be great if you could just do the 13 weeks part time.xxx

5. skellig1182

To retain maternity pay received under the Burgundy Book scheme, you are required to complete at least 13 weeks’ full-time service,or its part-time equivalent, on your return to work. If you were working part-time prior to maternity leave, you are required to complete 13 weeks’ part-time service. This period includes both term time and school holidays. There is no need to return to work if you claimed SMP only and there is no need to repay SMP if you do not return for 13 weeks.