1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning after maternity - Year 4 or nursery???

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nikkitotternhoe, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

I'm due to go back to school at the end of March and today had a meeting with my Head to discuss where I'll be once back at school, as I am only wanting part-time hours instead of the full time post I left. The school are being very flexible and have said I can have my job back as class teacher in Year 4 for the amount of days I want and they will advertise for the days I don't want to do....but he has also offered me a teaching position in nursery - just mornings. I am really confused as to what to do?! I am interested in gaining experience lower down in the school as I have taught KS1 and KS2...I would love to hear your thoughts! Any advice for me about teaching in nursery...pros and cons etc would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Just a thought. If you are seriousy considering Nursery, why don't you arrange to spend a bit of time there to find out if it is for you. Another thought- would you still be likely to be there when your child comes through- is that a possibility and would it pose problems? It sounds like an interesting career move. Would the school be able to give you specific training etc?

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I don't know what your childcare plans are, but do check out how that costs for the two options. Some nurseries charge almost as much for a morning as a full day, making full days preferable.
    After-school meetings sometimes become an issue with morning-only contracts - they can't expect you to return for them, but some heads don't realise that.
    One other thing to think about is the time you will get with your child. If you're the sort of person who would want to take them to toddler groups and so on, those are often in the mornings.
    These are only thoughts, but probably worth thinking about, as well as the professional side of things.

4. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Also with a little one at home might year 4 be preferable to nursery?! [​IMG]

5. I would have preferred a few full days to every morning up until the time they start school. Then I preferred all mornings as I could be home in time to collect my child from school.

6. speaking from personal experience of having done both...better to do full days as otherwise it feels like a full time job. And paperwork in nursery is a nightmare if you've never done it before!