1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

returning after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by eread1, Apr 6, 2012.

1. eread1

eread1 New commenter

I'm thinking about plans to return after having my second daughter, but money is VERY tight.
    I can't afford to be on maternity leave until September so will have to return at the end of July in order to start my contract so I can be paid for the summer.
    The thing is, for both my girls to go back to the childminder will cost about £80 a day and then HER contract will kick back in and I'll have to pay half for the summer holidays.
    Am I right in thinking that I can state the 1st day of the summer holidays as my 'return date' and I will still get paid?
    It doesn't sit well with me as I feel guilty but it's just so expensive for childcare when it'll now be more than I pay for my mortgage!!
    Any help would be great!

2. eread1

eread1 New commenter

I'm thinking about plans to return after having my second daughter, but money is VERY tight.
    I can't afford to be on maternity leave until September so will have to return at the end of July in order to start my contract so I can be paid for the summer.
    The thing is, for both my girls to go back to the childminder will cost about £80 a day and then HER contract will kick back in and I'll have to pay half for the summer holidays.
    Am I right in thinking that I can state the 1st day of the summer holidays as my 'return date' and I will still get paid?
    It doesn't sit well with me as I feel guilty but it's just so expensive for childcare when it'll now be more than I pay for my mortgage!!
    Any help would be great!

3. I don't know from a personal perspective, but I have worked with people who have returned from mat leave 1 week or a couple of days before the summer hols and then been on full pay for the summer. If your school is fussy about setting your return date as the hols could you return a couple of days before and partner/mum/friend look after the kids so you dont have to pay for childcare over the summer? Hope this helps.

4. naomi58

naomi58 New commenter

You can definitely put the first day of the holidays, and lots of people do! Xx

5. Sorry to butt in, I don't have any experience in this, but I just thought I'd tell you that where I work one lady returned from mat leave on the last of term. It was only half a day, so her mum had her 2 kids. this meant she got full pay over the hols.
    I think you can put any day as your return date, but if your school are a bit funny about it, this might be a bit of a solution? HTH.

6. Your school simply cannot get 'a bit funny' about it. You can pick any date as your return to work day, including the first day of the school holidays, and you will be on full pay from that day.