1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning after maternity leave for 13 weeks only...

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by moppety13, May 5, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Would be grateful if anyone can help - rather confused... Am currently on maternity leave and have a two day contract at my school. If I wished to resign from my post due to family commitments (I have two under two and for health reasons with one of them I would find finding childcare difficult), how does that work with the requirement to return for 13 weeks, or the part time equivalent, if I didn't want to pay back part of my maternity pay? Am I within my rights to request that I return to work in July and then count the summer holidays as part of my 13 weeks service enabling me to leave in October? How does this work with handing in my notice as it's part way through a term? Would I need to write two separate letters - one to inform them of my return to work and one to inform them of my wish to resign from my post? Can I request that I return to work for the 13 week period only, if that makes sense? I'm on good terms with my school and wouldn't want to make a request that was unreasonable. I'm assuming my other option is just to hand in my notice for the 31st August and repay a portion of my maternity pay, which I would rather avoid if I'm honest. I hope I don't come across as money-grabbing, have just had a difficult few years!

Many thanks in advance!

2. Hi,
    Would be grateful if anyone can help - rather confused... Am currently on maternity leave and have a two day contract at my school. If I wished to resign from my post due to family commitments (I have two under two and for health reasons with one of them I would find finding childcare difficult), how does that work with the requirement to return for 13 weeks, or the part time equivalent, if I didn't want to pay back part of my maternity pay? Am I within my rights to request that I return to work in July and then count the summer holidays as part of my 13 weeks service enabling me to leave in October? How does this work with handing in my notice as it's part way through a term? Would I need to write two separate letters - one to inform them of my return to work and one to inform them of my wish to resign from my post? Can I request that I return to work for the 13 week period only, if that makes sense? I'm on good terms with my school and wouldn't want to make a request that was unreasonable. I'm assuming my other option is just to hand in my notice for the 31st August and repay a portion of my maternity pay, which I would rather avoid if I'm honest. I hope I don't come across as money-grabbing, have just had a difficult few years!

Many thanks in advance!

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You could indeed resign by the end of May to leave in August and repay the enhanced part of your maternity pay.... You could return for the 13 week period and then leave - any holiday period counts as part of that period.

4. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

If you are going to resign to leave at the end of August, make sure that you also first nominate the first day of the Summer break as your 'return to work' date so that you return to standard full pay for your contract type.