1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning after maternity ~ concerns about contract offer

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by beegeeboy, Feb 27, 2011.

1. I am currently on maternity leave and am thinking of returning to work in the 2nd half of the summer term. I am hoping to return on a part time basis but my Head has suggested that if I do return on a part time agreement my permanent full time contract will be replaced with a part time flexi hours contract. This basically allows my Headteacher to increase or decrease my hours providing I am given sufficient notice. Obviously this isn't a solution for me due to childcare arrangements and financial considerations. I would like to have some advice as to whether this is accepted practice???

Thanks.

2. Contact your staffing dept at your county to find their guidelines. It is the case in my County that you have to put it in writing the not only the percentage of the week you wish to work, but also how those hours will be spread over the week. This then stands as your contract and cannot be changed without both parties agreeing to it. When I went part time, this wasn't the case. I've been very lucky to have my hours stay exactly the same, but a friend of mine worked different days each year to fit in with the school's requirements...her hours stayed the same though.

3. Hi Beegeeboy, I'll be interested in replies to this. I recently posted about my similar situation. My college have agreed to my returning on 0.5, but on a temp 12 month contract, to be reviewed for its success at the end. I'm still trying to find out what happens if they deem it unsuccessful - do I have to leave? Or is it a temp reduction of hours within my current f/t perm one, in which case I would return to my original f/t hours?
    In my meeting, the principal mentioned something about all new temp contracts now being flexible hours depending on what is needed, anything between 0.2 and 0.8, but again she was very hazy and I'm still none the wiser. All I know is that I can't afford to work 0.2, and I do not want to work more than 0.6, as well as it being completely impossible with regards to childcare, as you have jsut mentioned. Do they really expect that people with young babies/kids could be flexible like this? How are we supposed to suddenly find an extra place at nursery for the next term, or, worse, be paying for a day a week when baby is not at nursery, because they don't need us as much during study leave period, for example?
    It sounds to me like your place is doing something similar. Can they do this?
    I won't be signing any new contract until I've reaqd it thoroughly and got the union involved if necessary.
    Good luck to you x