1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning after mat leave next week! What do I do?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by kjh498, Mar 21, 2020.

1. kjh498

kjh498 Occasional commenter

I don't want to go back because of the virus and lack of childcare now for my baby.

Are schools asking for teachers to volunteer going in or do we have to?

How much money will i have to pay if I don't go back?

I'm in a Puru and we have to go out to kids houses to do safe n wells and I'm worried I'll pass something on to my premature baby.

Or am I better off going in when I can (one day out of my 3 part time days?) Each week whilst paying back my mat leave money .

2. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I think only you can answer this as you know how much you need the money and whether you can afford to pay back your enhanced maternity pay. If you choose not to go back, you are effectively resigning and will have to pay this back. You will then be out of a job. If you cannot afford to lose this job or pay back the maternity pay, you will have to go back and do what is being asked of everyone else. You do have my sympathy - it's hard enough going back after a baby at the best of times.

3. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

If you have a good relationship with your head, could you talk to them? With reduced staffing needs, they may be willing to let you prepare resources from home, or take more leave unpaid. At least you'd know what your options are.
    If you are in a PRU I would guess they'd rather be sending staff to do home visits who have had recent experience with the students, so they may prefer to use you in other ways anyway. Not my area of expertise, so not sure if that's correct, just a guess. All best wishes to you.