1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning after mat leave - changing how I work/hrs!!!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by pancake99, Aug 19, 2011.

1. pancake99

pancake99 New commenter

Hi
    in a nutshell, head and I do not get on! He has so far managed to get 18 people to leave(various reasons) in our primary school - and i've always been next. anyway, my request for p/t was refused (yes i appealed) so im going back after 16 months off and putting twins f/t in nursery. Can anyone help with the following???
    1) I do love my job, but how do I streamline the workload - most nights im on the laptop frpm 7-9pm at least, not to mention the sunday drama. I also feel concerned that it will take over the care of my babies.
    2) I intend to get in at 8am and leave at 4pm (not what I did before - i was there till 5) where do i stand with this? We have 2 late nights per term for parents evening, plus several twilights coming up which i knew nothing about but remember he wants rid and sees anything i say as negative so if i approach him about this i'll just get him bothered more.Dont want to do after school club either - was thinking a morning or luchtime...?
    3) i consider (and others) that i am one of his best teachers (but hes not bothered) so how do i justify putting in loads of hard work only to have him have a go at me for a tiny thing...im going to get stressed and have two babies to think about, how can i handle this?
    yes i have looked for other jobs and still am, and sorry but i dont think unions are much help and by the time its gets to that stage you are so stressed anyway it wasnt worth the bother.
    thanks in advance, will check back later for replies, will read them all, thanks again

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Congratulations on your twins.
    I don't have a huge amount of useful advice regarding workload as I work in secondary. Perhaps post on the Primary forum and buddy up with someone teaching the same year group?
    Insofar as working hours are concerned, assuming you are not an Academy you have to do directed time and this should be clearly set out - usually parents evenings/twilights fall into directed time but time you spend in school after the school day has finished is at your discretion.
    Good luck getting a new job [​IMG]

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Sorry: you have the right to apply but your HT has the right to refuse.

If you have documentary evidence that you are being bullied it would seem sensible to call on your union for assistance. Are you saying they are useless because they weren't able to secure flexible working for you?

4. pancake99

pancake99 New commenter

no, the meeting brought up a lot of issues that had happened in the past to the point where the head accused me of accusing him of bullying although i never used the word, the union rep just sat there mostly and after the union rep said - i think you should leave - there is no reasoning with that guy. yep and he's not wrong - hence i am looking

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I see: that makes sense. It certainly sounds as though you need to be in a different school.