1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returner - no management aspirations - do I mention it in applications?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Feb 9, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

By a "returner", do you mean that you are a qualified teacher hoping to return to teaching? Primary or Secondary? If latter, what subject? How long since last employed as a teacher?
    I am asking all this because there are bigger issues, much bigger issues, than just the career aspirations, to give you a helpful answer.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

2. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

I understand about the other issues which I have earlier asked about on this forum, it's just this particular one that's been concerning me lately as I go about constructing applications!

I'm guessing the answer is to not even mention career aspirations on my application and have my answers ready for interview should I be lucky enough to get one!

Thanks!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you are aware of the other issues and understand how they are likely to impact on your application, how to reduce that impact, fair enough. In the light of these, your To Be or Not To Be is rather a minor matter . . .
    As you say, don't bring it up at all in the application. You are quite right there. And getting an interview requires more than just luck; careful thought and preparation of your application and executive summary are more important, especially in your situation. Hope it all comes out well for you.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com