1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

returned to work after maternity discrimination?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by elvin163, Oct 23, 2016.

?

What should I do?

Poll closed Nov 6, 2016.
  1. Seek union advice

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  2. Speak to the head

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Leave and find another job

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I have and the qualifications to go with it. I can suggest discrimination because it's my job to be alert to it and I litigate discrimination cases. No-one else is precluded from suggesting discrimination either and advising, as everyone has, that the union should be consulted.

It would be a different matter if anyone was suggesting there was a dead-cert discrimination case here. It will be fact and evidence dependent. It most certainly warrants closer scrutiny, however, which is why the OP was wise to involve her union.

If the OP feels she is left with no choice but to resign - if the situation becomes unbearable - there is also a potential - potential - constructive unfair dismissal claim too.

midnight_angel likes this.
  2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

@elvin163 You may also wish to be aware that covert recordings of conversations, meetings etc are automatically admissible as evidence in discrimination cases. By all means confirm this with your union before acting on it.

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I wasn't really suggesting you have @GLsghost

There are a few posts that have suggested that the LM is out of order. I think that without knowing the full ins and outs of the story this is a tad unfair at this stage, in this case anyway. They deserve right of reply

I would proceed with caution, and I hope this decision to go in with ideas of resignation isn't a snap one based on viewpoints on the thread

midnight_angel and GLsghost like this.
  4. s10327

s10327 Occasional commenter

Please don't resign yet. I gather you feel you've had enough and want out, but long term you may benefit from gritting your teeth and getting through these few months before choosing to get out. If you have been discriminated against would it not maybe be better to see it through? I was in a similar position (I'd had enough) and phoned citizen's advice who went bananas and told me very firmly not to resign. It's surprising what a difference the way you leave employment can be. Or at least I was surprised!
    You are naturally more likely to be questioning your employment and the decision you made to return even without this carry-on and your hormones will be mucking you about too. Keep calm - and would it be the end of the world if you leave at Easter not Christmas? You have a lifetime ahead of you to spend with your child, follow union advice and give bringing the b******* to heel a couple more weeks at least and focus on something you will enjoy during the xmas holidays to get through these difficult weeks.
    Best wishes

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    install likes this.
  5. s10327

s10327 Occasional commenter

Oh gosh I do hope you are alright though. What doofuses you must work with. Take care.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

To a non-legal expert, the word 'discrimination' suggests treating somebody differently to others, so the first point @DYNAMO67 makes seems valid. If all or most other teachers have their own room, and the school does not have a good reason for this change, then discimination does appear to be a possibility. If not, then surely they have the right to do what is needed. As others have pointed out, it is not always possible for a teacher to always have the same room. In my department, there were 50% more teachers than rooms, so we often had to move around. It would be rather unfair if those people without a protected characteristic had to do all the moving! However, perhaps the strict legal definition of discrimination is different.

As for the resources, I still put it down to incompetence, but an explanation is due to the OP.

I hope the meeting with the Head goes/has gone well, and puts your mind at rest that you are not being picked on. and that your resources turn up.

midnight_angel likes this.