1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Return to work

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by deecoker, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Dear Theo. I am hoping to return to work after a prolonged career break to raise my children. I qualified in 1998 and worked until late 2002 which welcomed the birth of my first daughter. A year later and change of base (England to Wales) I returned to teaching in a supply capacity, I continued with this until the birth of my second daughter in 2004. I then tried to return to supply but childminding became an issue and I found I was unable to supply enough to meet the costs. In 2005 I volunteered for a while in a local school. My daughters were identified with a speech problem and dyslexia and dyspraxia and I decided to remain at home aiding them. I feel that now I am in a position to return to school, I volunteered again last year in a local school but would now like to be paid for my work. Please can you suggest what I can write in a general personal statement to attract a future employer, I have a lot to offer but of course I am out of date in some areas.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, forgot to tell you, if you want a definite reply from Theo, you need to put Dear Theo i<u>n the thread title</u> ,as well as in the actual post.
    Now you've found this forum try How long?

whilst you re-post & await Theo's response.
    It's actually a different question which was asked but is also for a 'newbie' and contains lots of useful info/links.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

|How nice to have had time at home with the family!
    Well, no, I can't really write this for you! And you don't really need "a general personal statement", nowadays, you need something that is fitted to each school's needs and job and person specification.
    Have a good read of the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread, as well as that lonk that Lara gave you, and you'll get a feel of what sort of application is successful nowadays.
    Also, write a list of all that you have learnt and gained from (a) supply, (b) volunteering and (c) being at home supporting your daughters, and how this could be used effectively in the classroom. This may give you some ideas for starters:
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com