1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Return to work

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by hopkins1, May 31, 2011.

1. Hello
    Does anyone have any advice.

Have been off work for 4 months and thinking about returning.

I have always done really well at my job and often done other peoples jobs too as staff did not want/know how to do and the management at the time was dubious and unhelpful.

We have a new head backed by the LA, she seems to be a bit of a bully and 6/8 teachers have been off sick.

Am worried that if I return to work my absence will mean this head could make up stuff to get rid of me, I am applying elsewhere anyway.

2. Yes the law changed in Oct 2010. Many application forms now do not include number of days sick.

Well I was off work with burnout after doing the HT/DHT and my own job for 6 months in their absence.

Another excellent teacher has just resigned at the school so I dont think the atmosphere there is great at all!!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think the question should be 'are you well enough to work?' If you are then go back and do your job in the best way you can while applying for other posts if that is what you want. If you are not well enough to work then you need to be signed off.

It shouldn't really be a 'Well I'm thinking about going back, but am not sure if I want to or not. I might or might not.' sort of situation.

4. I did not know that! And that's exactly what asking about the number of days off sick did to people. My agreed reference from my last teaching post states the number of days I had off sick though. Not that I ever use it any more.