1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Return to work part time

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by goldenglow, Oct 31, 2019.

1. goldenglow

goldenglow New commenter

I’m not sure if this is the right forum but I was told in September when I met with the head that a request to return from maternity leave for 3 days would be fine and I didn’t need to complete a formal request until nearer the time. He’s told me today that I would be required to return full time. I know I can still put in a request and appeal to the governors if necessary but if it’s declined then I would have to wait until Easter to leave as the deadline for Christmas is today (I’m due to go back in Jan).

Anyone have any ideas of what I can do? I don’t care about paying back the OMP, but don’t want to return full time

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I would get on to your union. Get your request in, in writing, and in the bit where you write about the impact on the school, I'd be inclined to include the fact that you were told in September that the request would be granted.

Given that he misled you, morally I think he ought to release you from the contract at Christmas if you wish, although I'm not sure whether he can be forced to. Hopefully the union can help with that.

3. goldenglow

goldenglow New commenter

Thank you. My union has said that I need to complete a formal request but as nothing was minutes in our meeting, I have no evidence that this was said so there’s nothing I can do about that.

I’ve attached a screenshot of the application I’ve been asked to fill out. Any ideas on what to put in the terms and conditions bit? Not really sure what I’m supposed to put other than understanding that I’ll pay less pension and that my terms will be permanently changed so won’t have the right to change my mind and go full time.

The rest I think will be straight forward since about 20% of our staff are part time so it shouldn’t affect staff and management and more than it already does. Any help though would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If your school follows STPCD, I'd be inclined to say that your terms and conditions would continue to be governed by that - there's not really a lot of choice. You could say that you intend to continue to pay into the pension scheme (although that's now the default for part-timers, it used not to be).

One thing to be careful about is the exact wording of any future contract. There is a big difference between these three:
    - working Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday
    - working 3 days a week
    - 0.6 of full-time.
    The last, in particular, leaves the possibility that they come back to you the next year and tell you they've timetabled you for mornings only. The middle option might be okay, but I'd recommend trying to get a clause saying how much notice you will be given of any change to the days - most schools are sensible, but occasionally people have discovered in July that they've been timetabled for a day when their childminder has no space.
    Make it clear which you are asking for, and then check the contract agrees.