1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Return to UK in 2017 or not?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by bmouthboyo, Oct 1, 2015.

1. bmouthboyo

bmouthboyo New commenter

I am currently Teaching in SE Asia in a well respected British International Secondary School since 2013. Due to my wife not being able to work in her profession in our country of residence we are looking at options for the future at the end of our current contract (2017) at which point we will have saved a good amount for a deposit for a house back in the UK.

My question to you guys really is has British Education changed a great deal in the past 2 years? I spoke to a teacher recently from the UK and she informs me about the changes to levelling and observations. Are things on the up? or continuing the downward spiral I started to witness when I was teaching in there.

Is the trend of data, data, data being reduced? Fear mentality still present? Performance related pay? Salary's being increased in line with inflation now?

Just wanted to touch base with teachers back home and see how things are. My gut instinct is to stay away a while longer.

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Not in the UK at the moment but from everything I hear from my friends and colleagues the situation has not improved. Anyone else heard different?

3. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

Not in the UK either but from what I hear state education is the same mess is was when you left. Some things have changed - levels are no longer mandatory and Ofsted don't give individual lesson gradings but other than that it's still apparently the worst job in the universe.

4. Le_Model88

Le_Model88 New commenter

In the UK here, imagine the blind leading the blind. That's what teaching is here now.

It's pretty difficult, but management in my school seems to be pulling away from requiring lots of data. Ofsted now want to see books of children for their standard of work, marking and responses to marking, they also look at the school ethos.

Assessments without levels is confusing as they've not replaced the levelling system with anything, they've only released a 'guideline' of sorts this September. There's a huge focus on what's called "Age Related Expectations" (ARE) whereby the children must know relevant skills for their age. Only problem is it's very difficult to show any progress if your child is well below or well above average.

All this could change in a year however, I've had to use 3 different kinds of assessment in the past year and now trialing a new assessment method.

Wish me luck...

5. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I've been back in the UK for a few years now, and make my living as a private tutor. I tutor A-level (and the odd IB diploma candidate) maths, chemistry and physics. From the feedback I get from my students, who are typically from the so-called better schools around here, most of their teachers, unless they have been in the school a long time tend to be young. In other words, schools still want cheap and subservient underlings: quality of teaching is more or less irrelevant. Needless to say, the consequence of this is that a large proportion of teachers in these subjects are rubbish, which keeps me in business.

So, if you are prepared to work your butt off for a pittance, and obey the whims of senior management without question, then you stand a chance of getting a job in the UK: and this also goes for a lot of the private schools too.

6. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

I'm afraid things haven't changed significantly since you were here. There has been talk of getting rid of Ofsted but I think that will be some time until that happens, if at all.

No. Those are still the same. As another person mentioned, the situation of hiring younger more complaint teachers is still the rage. Free schools and academies still seem to be rising inexorably and demoralisation is at the same level.

Your instinct is right. The problem is that getting back into teaching can be quite difficult as teaching abroad often doesn't seem to count in the UK and the longer you are away the harder it is. It's a dilemma faced by many teachers who return - go now or stay longer when it will be more tricky getting back into teaching. If I were you I would stay longer and continue to save.

7. ejclibrarian

Just finished talking to a friend who has gone back to the UK between international contracts. Today a student threatened her with physical violence. She is utterly depressed and wants to leave the UK as soon as possible. This is not an isolated occurrence she tells me. Can't see how anyone, once they've escaped working in the UK, would ever want to go back.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Nope - the opposite, only data matters, you will be told everything else is also necessary and important, but ultimately only data matters.

Still? Imagine the upwards trajectory that was probably around when you left continuing apace. PRP is being used to reduce salary costs.

hahaha

I got out last Christmas because I could, the job has become something very different to the one I signed up for.

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

No, things in the UK have not improved. That is why I get PMs (actually they are not called PMs any more) and e-mails from teachers in the UK who "want out". As for getting a mortgage in the UK, bmouthboyo, all I can say is that it is so very kind and so generous of you to want to boost the meagre profits of solicitors, estate agents and bankers in the UK. (We all know how hard they work and how badly paid they are.)

Our house in Bulgaria has beautiful views of the mountains, a big garden and lots of peace and quiet. We paid the equivalent of twenty thousand pounds in cash, no mortgage, and prices are probably even lower now. The Bulgarian equivalent of Council Tax (yes, they still have that in the UK) is twenty pounds a year. Twenty thousand pounds might just buy you a dog kennel back in dear old Blighty.

10. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

.. and several bedrooms too, hippo? Because when Putin comes, he will want to billet a few of his well-mannered squaddies on you.

sabrinakat likes this.
  11. Silent85

Silent85 New commenter

haha true SMT lol mind you with me in Norway we could be next too lol

12. the hippo

P1130541.jpg Quite a lot of Russians have bought properties on the Black Sea coast. Bulgaria has very friendly relations with Russia, so Mrs H and I are hoping that we will not be entertaining Russia's armed forces at some point in the future.

13. Silent85

Silent85 New commenter

Is that your place? very nice I am loving living in europe again personally and I look forward to visiting the baltics asap on vacation.

14. the hippo

148.jpg As As well as a villa in the mountains, about 60km north of Sofia, we also have an apartment in the beautiful old city of Veliko Tarnovo. The apartment was a bit more expensive, thirty-five thousand euros (that is about thirty thousand pounds). Property in Bulgaria is as cheap as chips. The property tax in VT (the equivalent of Council Tax) is also a bit higher, about forty pounds a year. The apartment, in a 14th century cobbled street, looks across to the river to the Tsaravets fortress, up on the hill.

15. ejclibrarian

16. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

Just came on here to post the same thing. Looks like I'll stay put for the time being. Oh well, I'll go have an iced coffee on my balcony and watch the boats leave for the islands to improve my mood. :)

17. davisnigel

davisnigel New commenter

I've been teaching abroad for little over a year now - in the UAE (and some on here say this is not the best place to teach or live) - I met one teacher last year who left the profession - but teaching is not an easy profession anywhere if you do it properly and so isn't for everyone... but I cannot tell you how much happier my colleagues here are compared to the UK - and Facebook being what it is means I can still keep a track of them... and the complaining has certainly not stopped! Stay where you are and hopefully the missus will at least get something she can start enjoying - she certainly wont get the quality of life back in Blighty... my first trip to the local high street when I was home this summer was a group of beered-up youths swearing their heads off - I almost turned and headed straight back to the airport!

18. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

How ironic. That same summer, me and the missus were stood at the local bus stop heading into town. Three youths passed by and asked me aggressively what I was looking at. I'm still at an age where I feel confident to handle such things - is GBH still a crime or part of the community policing program - but being a pensioner in the UK would not be appealing.

19. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I don't wonder why we get 100 applications per job here in Shanghai. If you are a UK trained/QTS/Register you can walk into a job here.

Maybe Boyo's wife can qualify for an iPGCSE from Sunderland/Nottingham Uni and get herself a teaching job if you are to stay where you are. Better then doing nothing all the year, ask in your current school if she do her teaching their while she studies.

Hippo, can you send me a url/link to your estate agent in Bulgaria as I should have enough petty cash saved to buy a place there by the end of the year. Cheaper then a hotel for the summer holidays.

20. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Unless you are saying that 99 out of those 100 applicants are not UK trained nor have QTS, your post makes not sense whatsoever, since quite clearly 99 out of the 100 will not be walking anywhere further than the White Cliffs in their attempt to escape Blighty and slow boat to Shanghai.