1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Return to Teaching

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Hansoff, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Dear Theo

My training was completed in the 1970s but circumstances meant that I did not start teaching and moved into IT for 20yrs and another career for the last 15yrs.

Now would be a good time for me to get back to the classroom as I think I have more to offer than I did in those days. I would also, at the moment, like to think that there is an opportunity to continue beyond normal retirement age as, for various reasons my pension is small but I am still fit (play squash a few times a week etc.).

Maths was my main subject, I did some French teaching during training and am fluent now, and have trained many adults in IT skills.

However, despite the shortages I am told about, my applications to about 7 local schools have not even elicited a reply. I have a valid Enhanced CRB, a headmaster's reference.

I am available at the moment and have offered, with applications for jobs and without, to spend a short period in the school to get backup to speed. No response.

What would have encouraged you to have a look at me? Better still, offer me a job?

Regards

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't know who's telling you this. There are large numbers of unemployed teachers of all subjects.
    You won't like to hear my answer to this, I'm afraid.
    • Recent successful teaching in a UK school
    • Awareness of current pedagogical theory and practice
    • Familarity with current specifications (what used to be called syllabuses)
    May I suggest that you sign up with the TDA Return to teaching to see if you comply with their new, stricter requirements for support and training to get back into the classroom? If so, this would help you have what a school is looking for.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com