1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

return to teaching

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lara mfl 05, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, not a good time to be thinking of returning with the glut of teachers and shortage of posts (especially if you're MS5) or above at present. You'll need to be 'top-notch', so well done for thinking about how best to make yourself so.
    Have you considered some voluntary work to familiarise yourself with current school practice. That was what I did after having my family and just talking with teachers and being in the classroom, started pointing me in the right direction to go with my research.
    Generally the only thing one has to teach is National Curriculum -the new government has thrown out all the Labour initiatives (though some schools still follow them as there's no replacement as yet). Teachers are supposed to be having more control over the curriculum and many schools are doing 'creative curriculum' under a variety of schemes e. g. International Curriculum, Hamilton Trust among others.
    Safeguarding is a big issue, but many issues will be much as they were 4 years ago, just do a quick check to see if you're familiar with current issues.
    Keep reading the TES of course.
    Best of luck!

2. I would echo what Lara has said. Check with your local primary schools to see if any would be happy for you to come in and help perhaps one morning a week. (I also did this many years ago - it had the added benefit of giving me an additional person I could put down as a referee when I came to apply for jobs.)
    The new Literacy and Numeracy frameworks are no longer mandatory although lots of schools still use them. There is, as Lara said, a move towards a creative curriculum. We don't use it currently, but have just had Ofsted in, and the inspector was keen to see us move over to it. We've also just started using Big Maths as have a number of schools in our area - but don't know how widespread that is nationally.

3. Thank you for your responses.
    Have you every heard of a teacher appling for a TA post as a way to become more familiar with current school practice and to get back into the routine of working again? There a low key post locally that I'm really tempted by.
    Also do you know if 'Every child matters' is still in line with current thinking?
    Thank you!

4. There's no reason why you couldn't apply for TA jobs. I tried that though and wasn't even interviewed! But that was 12 years ago, and a lot has changed since then.
    ECM is officially no longer supported by this government.

5. Just an idea, but could you maybe read a couple of books designed for student teachers? If you read the more recent ones, they'll probably contain a lot of what you're looking for :)