1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Return to teaching

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by lpb83, Jul 12, 2011.

1. I left teaching before finishing my NQT year for a variety of reasons, but am seriously considering returning to the classroom. At the moment, I'm working in an office, and always thinking about how to make lesson resources that reflect both my subject (physics) and the workplace. I've been out for over 3 years, and unsure how to get back in. Any thoughts from anyone?

2. So did I, I was advised to do a return to teaching course if I ever wanted to return. There's an unlimited amount of time to complete your NQT now once you start, it's not 5 years any more. It took me a while to stop thinking about teaching after I left, I think you get so used to thinking about it 24/7 that it takes a long time to switch that off.

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Have you ever done supply? If you haven't, you can do sixteen months of supply which may lead to something better. FE colleges often have odd hours available for over subscribed courses so may be worth approaching them now and at the beginning of September.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There are no longer any formal returning to teach programmes so getting back in is all about your own research and preparation. Start with voluntary work approach the science department of a local school to ask if you can come in and observe some lessons as you are hoping to return to teaching, it could lead into supply work. As a physicist your subject is likely to be in demand you need to ensure that you are up to date so check out National Curriculum KS3 exam board requirements for sciences as part of your preparation

5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Yes.
    That was changed in about 2008.
    Under the current regulations, that's fine - you can now work in non-inductable supply for up to 5 years from qualification. But under the previous regulations you could only do supply for 16 months followed by a possibility of a formal extension (granted by your LA) for up to one more year. So you must have been working illegally for some of that time in supply.
    (But you appear to have gotten away with it so that's OK.)
    You many not have to. The latest regulations allow for a period as short as a single term in exceptional cases.