1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Return to Teaching-references

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Maliz, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Maliz

Maliz New commenter

I have recently made the decision that after 13 years away, I would like to return to teaching. I have lined myself up with a return to teaching course and a volunteering experience at a local school.
    My worry is who to put down as my referees. I was thinking about the head from the volunteer placement and my Manager from the LEA that I have worked for since leaving teaching.
    I have decided not to put referees from the schools that I worked in as all of my former colleagues have long since gone and I do not have any personal contact details for them.
    Will schools think this is odd and not consider my application?

2. nernstlaw

nernstlaw New commenter

With such a long gap in your school career, I think your referees should be the people you suggested in your post but have the information from previous posts available just in case, stating that colleague no longer wok there etc. Theo will be along to give you better advice than I can ;)

wishing you good luck for your return.
    Nernst

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't bet on it!

Yes indeed.

The trouble with the 13-year old references is not only that they may no longer be there, may no longer have any record of you being there, but also that

a. Teaching has changed a lot

b. You have changed a lot

Any 13-year-old reference is of very little or no use, I'm afraid.

Best wishes