1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

return to teaching ...is it gloomy as some claim?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by alybongo, Feb 22, 2011.

1. alybongo

alybongo New commenter

I stopped working as a primary teacher 10 yrs ago I'm thinking of doing a return to teaching course some people have said the job is even worse ie more stressful than 10 yrs ago .....can anyone give me some positive feedback aboutabout the job now thanks?

2. alybongo

alybongo New commenter

I stopped working as a primary teacher 10 yrs ago I'm thinking of doing a return to teaching course some people have said the job is even worse ie more stressful than 10 yrs ago .....can anyone give me some positive feedback aboutabout the job now thanks?

3. Oh my god people on here are so depressing!! Yes it prob has changed - its changed in the 6 years that ive been doing it but if it is something you enjoy and are good at then you'll love it! Probably for the same reasons you got into teaching in the first place! Yes the workload has increased dramatically and you do seem to have to justify everything you do but its all about the children at the end of the day and the satisfaction you get from them everyday seems to make the stress worthwhile. Good luck! :)

4. invincible

invincible New commenter

Think about why you became a teacher in the first place and why you still want to do it and that should help you be positive. Sure the workload has got heavy but it always was, even when I started in 1999. It's just a differently foccused heavy. IMO it's only stressful if you let it be. Once you find your balance and get into your routines, it should be easier.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well I love it and have been teaching for 15 years. My workload has increased, but only in line with my responsibilities.

Depressing? Not me and not for most people in my school. Find the right school and have the right motivation and you'll love it! Wrong school and doing it for the wrong reasons and you'll hate it.

If you found it stressful and difficult before, you probably still will. If you didn't then, you probably won't now.

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Oh my word! Of COURSE you should return to teaching! I, too, have had ten years off (surprising how long it takes to grow 3 children!!), and did a return to teaching course last term - which was great fun! It reminded me of all the fab things about teaching in a primary school, and it was great to share experiences and plans with the others on the course.
    The thing I've heard the most is that 'it's all changed', but to be honest, I haven't seen much evidence of that - children are still smelly and nitty, they still do and say the same funny things, and they still forget their capital letters and full stops!
    I will concede that the jargon has gone completely bonkers, and I'm currently living in acronym hell, and I do feel that the LO/TBAT business is completely alien, and questionable (to be perfectly honest), but apart from that...it's great not having to do the literacy and numeracy hours!! (which were responsible for me not wearing a watch for nine years!)
    The pay has gone up ENORMOUSLY (hurrah!!) (in fact, double hurrah, you won't have to get a full time job to earn the same!!) (depending where you were on the scale - and that's changed, you may have to have a chat with your old personnel office, sorry, HR!!),a nd there's a lot more adults floating around the room than I was used to.
    From my point of view, I'm coming back to the classroom refreshed, revived, full of enthusiasm and with a completely different perspective to the one I used to have before I had my own children. Now I just need to decide which direction I want my career to go (eventually - I can't work full time while my little one is so little. Teaching DOES fit round them - just- but it's so intense during term time that I don't think my family could manage me!!).
    DO it!! You'll love it!! (but do supply, or a rtt course first - ease yourself in gently and give yourself time to adjust) Best of!!