1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Return to teaching...help!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by cajames21, Jul 23, 2019.

1. cajames21

cajames21 New commenter

Hello,

I qualified as a Primary school teacher 6 years ago but unfortunately I did not complete my NQT year. I would like to get back into teaching and be able to complete my induction year although I am not sure if I can do this?

I am currently working in schools as a Teaching Assistant to gain experience through a supply agency but have been advised I cannot work as a teacher. I have applied to schools direct but with no success.

I would be grateful if anyone has any advice or personal experience on this subject as I would love to return to teaching.

Thanks

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Did you start Induction straight after getting QTS or was there a gap between the two?
    How many Induction terms did you complete (if any)?

3. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Good News: There is no time limit on completing induction after gaining QTS.

Bad News: You cannot be employed in day-to-day supply work until you complete induction, unless you are doing a part-time teaching job that does count towards induction (i.e. one term long at least).

The Government runs a return to teaching programme: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/explore-my-options/return-to-teaching

Give them a call!

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I thought you could do day to day supply but this has a time limit on it, 3 years I think, or is it 5. Once you reach that limit you can no longer do day to day supply and have to take on a position that is at least a term so it will count towards induction.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The supply limit is 5 years from the date your QTS-no extensions are allowed but this only applies to state schools academies and independents are excluded from the regulation. Any post of a term or longer counts for induction