1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Return to Teaching DfE Course

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by midnight_angel, Dec 1, 2015.

1. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

We all know these courses used to exist, but it seems the DfE is starting a new pilot scheme from January (it must be a way to try and fight the current lack of recruitment). Just thought it might be of interested to some, who are struggling with returning to teaching, due to lack of recent experience:
    https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/explore-my-options/return-to-teaching

I do have some more detailed information, for people in the SE (short story is that the academy trust I will be joining in January, is one of the training participants in the pilot, which is how I found out about it). I am happy for people to PM me for this info, but don't want to post it here, in case it is deemed an 'advert' :)

The training is also free, and the hours should be designed to meet your needs.

"If you’d like to return to a career teaching an EBacc subject, you could get free tailored support from local groups of schools. Working with the schools, you’ll identify exactly what support and training you need to enable your return to teaching. This could include:

• subject knowledge training
    • training to update knowledge of classroom practice, behaviour management, assessment frameworks and other current education initiatives
    • access to classroom experience and mentor support" (Quoted from the link).

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent news!

Thank you very much for posting this early indication of this, @midnight_angel . Since the DfE stopped providing this support, it has been much missed.

However, all the talk of EBACC suggests that this will not be of use to anyone considering returning to Primary teaching.

Pity.

Best wishes

3. Takara2005

Takara2005 New commenter

Thank you so much for this information, this is what I needed. I qualified as a secondary school teacher of ICT in 2010 and never was able to get a permanent job in any school. I did 2 years supply and got fed up of empty promises of getting me long term placements, in the end they started giving me cover jobs, so I stopped. I have since been working in a college library from 2012. But my heart is still in teaching I really would love to get a job in a school and really establish myself but it seam no one is prepared to give me a chance. All I got at interviews was not enough experience, how could I have acquired experience when I was an NQT. Since I have not worked in a school for so long I am unable to apply for jobs in schools. Also I never completed my NQT either.

Will this be something that I can benefit from or do I just give up on teaching and just move on

Thanks for any response

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I suggest that you contact the DfE and ask them, @Takara2005 .

Best wishes

5. benjoeday

benjoeday New commenter

I have also made enquiries this year about returning to teaching after a 5 yrs. I trained as a ICT teacher and taught for 10 yrs, but was made redundant. I took up IT network and now IT support helpdesk work since, but now after my young family are growing up to return to teaching.

Some enquiries have led me to take a refresher course, but the length out of schools it was advice that I do some voluntary work in a school. This I can not do as I need to keep my permanent job to pay the bills. I do not wish to do supply work due to the uncertainity of regular work and not work for 10 weeks in the year.

Is there any advice from any contributors to assist in my way back into teaching? ICT has changed to a more programming curriculum, but I am a programmer anyway so the theory is there and should not be a problem to teach a new style curriculum.

Any links other than the one above can be listed or who to contact to get back on the teaching career path?

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there Benjo.

I'm afraid not from me!

The DfE and more especially The National College for Teaching and Leadership are the people to contact.

Best wishes