1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Return to Teaching? - Art

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by morrestuff, Jan 4, 2020.

1. morrestuff

morrestuff New commenter

Hi all. Hoping you will have some advice for me? ...Other than "Don't!" ;-)
    My degree was Design Technology B-Ed, which I taught for several years alongside IT. I was teaching IT almost exclusively by the end of my teaching days (10+ years ago and I left because I had to care for a family member). I have kept up my own art practice in the meantime and have done some other bits of work. I am thinking about returning to Art Teaching part-time - ideally up to 2 days a week which could be spread over the week. I was through the pay threshold when I left.
    Am I being realistic in hoping to teach Art part-time?
    Do you think schools would consider me after such a long break and with the knowledge that I was trained in a different (though related) subject?
    Is it like riding a bike?
    Will they think that I am too expensive?
    Design Technology has changed enormously. I would need to get on top of many things considering the amount of time I have been out of Education. I imagine I will pick curriculum knowledge up quickly. Are there quick fixes?
    Sorry for long post. Advice appreciated.