1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Return to teaching after five years as a teaching assistant

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by hjlamb, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Hello everyone!

I would like some advice about return to teaching courses and whether or not they are worth doing. I qualified with a BA (Hons) Primary Education (Early Years) in 2005 but didn't feel ready to go straight into a teaching post. I took a job as a TA and became settled. I have been working in the same primary school for nearly six years now and have recently completed three continuous years in the EYFS. Now I am considering returning to teaching as I feel ready to make that next step now.

There is an RTT course coming up in Spring 2012 in my local area. I have applied for teaching jobs for this September but have had no success in gaining any interviews. I think this is because although I have had experience in the classroom it is not in a teaching capacity as I am employed as a teaching assistant. This is very annoying as I just can't seem to get any recognition for the experience that I could bring to a teaching post and I don't know how to get it recognised!

I would like some advice as to whether or not it would be worth completing the RTT course next year in preparation for job hunting for the 2012/13 academic year? The thing holding me back is that my TA post is permanent and I would probably need to leave my job to do my course. I really am in two minds. Would the RTT course put me in a competitive position alongside NQTs?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Would it not be worth doing supply teaching to show you had teaching experience in schools?

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

You might get some more knowledgable replies if you repost in Primary

4. If you never taught, presumably you still have to go through induction?

5. Thanks. Yes I realised later on that I had posted in secondary! I will repost in primary!

6. Hi! Yes I would still have to go through induction as I have never had a teaching post. I took a job as a teaching assistant after graduating from university.