1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Return to a job or teach in London

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by teacher-abroad, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Ideally I would actually love to get a job somewhere in Europe like Italy or Spain but my boyfriend is not a teacher but in the construction industry and does not speak any other languages so limits our options.
    What would my chance of finding work be in November in London? I've heard so many conflicting stories of the job situation there. Would it be a case of just getting supply work. Would I have to take whatever I was given and be thankful for any job offer at all. I have spoken to many people out here who have left London and they do all say the usual 'it's so expensive' 'lots of time spent commuting' etc.
    Has any one experience of leaving the middle east or elsewhere to go teach in London and did you think you made the right decision or were you sorry you left?

2. Have a look at the 'Unemployed Teachers' forum on TES. Should give you an idea of what's going on here now. STAY IN DUBAI! Apart from anything else, it's sunny.... and after the last two winters we've had here, that's not a trivial matter.

3. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

I agree with SMT on this - apply if you want to from a position of strength - stay employed. Heads do read letters of application very closely (I do because my glasses don't work, so I hold the precious printouts close to my eyes) and will take into account a period of non-teaching. What I'd like to see is why you've gone travelling (VSO, volunteer work, rafting across the Atlantic, etc etc) rather than simply a jolly with the BF. Sounds like a good school you're in at the moment. Lots of unemployed teachers in the UK according to reports, and a lot of people chasing very few jobs during the school year. You would be up against NQTs and people from 2 or 3 years ago who have not found places.

4. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Sorry - the point about being closer to home - that does not mean that you would see your family etc more frequently because your disposible income will be less. I see my extended family more often now I'm across the globe from them because I can afford to see them for extended holidays during the year.

5. Thanks for all the advice. When I say closer to home I mean so I'd have the option to maybe go home for a weekend when something important such as communion, wedding, big birthday is on. Right now I'm missing all those. While I agree I would have less money just to be popping home all the time being closer would also mean they may be able to visit me more just for a weekend.
    I have been leaning towards staying put just guess I'm looking for some reassurance :)

6. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I find this statement incredible. Do you want to own people on their down time as well as work time? What difference does it make whether the trip is purely for pleasure or to do something 'worthy'; would that honestly influence whether you employed the person?

7. You also need to think about how long you can afford to not work for. I have had friends return to the UK (over the past few years) in July (with no job) and not even be able to get supply workfor the 1st term because it has takenuntil December / January to get CRB checks done. I believe that you have to wait 6 months after goin back to the UK before you can apply ?!?!?! I think that if you have been out of the UK for under 12 months then your last CRB will still be current though. One friend left the far east last July and is still looking for even supply work.
    There was a thread on here a few moths ago about returning to the UK started by TES. It was a very interesting read if you can find it. Even they were suggesting in the current climate that if you are abroad and have a job keep hold of it as any job anywhere in the world is hard to find at the moment.
    What ever you decide to do... good luck!

8. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

It could make a difference all other things being equal between two candidates, yes. Because what you do in your down time is a good indicator of your general attitude and your approach.

9. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Wow, and this is why I am finding teaching unpalatable these days I guess. It is not a religious vocation and that is how people seem to treat it. The guilt trips that are laid on people are just unacceptable in my opinion. Must be getting too old for this gig.

10. Oh really Dave, please tell us how many London schools you have worked in? [​IMG]
    London is a wonderful place Yas, and I recommend ttha you move there as quick as possible, you won't regret it! [​IMG]

11. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Ummmm, it wasn't actually me who was contemplating moving to London. I have done a couple of stints in London and although I enjoyed working there I would much rather live in other places up north than London which I found grey, cold and unfriendly.

12. I would move there as quickly as possible, if I could. But I would go TEFL if I did..... fun, fun, fun....... and culture, culture, culture...but that's me, I'm not normal.

13. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

No me either but who is 'normal' whatever that means. I did find London overwhelmingly large and yes, unfriendly. I'm used to smiling at people in the street or on the bus and maybe even making smalltalk but that never happened in London. I think people thought I was going to ask them something or ask them for something.
    I then went to visit a friend I had worked with in the US who lived in Middlesbrough and I loved it. My English friends make fun of me when I say I loved Middlesbrough but I really did. The people were very friendly and fun and the surrounding countryside was stunning. Couldn't get work up there though back then.
    Why don't you move there notyet if you would like to?

14. ....too old and too tired, physically not menatally to start again, waiting for my inheritance. Always looking for the easy life whilst critical of the young ones. Rebuffed an education par excellence offer when testing my employability, even. Mean and lazy barstard, I am.

15. I have worked in several London schools, and I love the vibrancy and open-mindedness of the place. I am a 'Northerner' and must say that I don't find the northerners any friendlier than Londoners - plus they tend to have an enormous chip on the shoulder about the capital. Give me The South anytime; better climate, better cultural mix and better social stimulation!

16. Your must retain your anonymity at all costs!

17. urrrghh (did I spell that correctly FP?)
    Bloody southern poofter

18. Yes I know ddribbler - reported