1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Return of scheme of work after interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Noogsmagpie, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Hello,

I was asked to take a scheme of work to an interview last week and when I asked for it at the end of the day I was told it would be returned by post. I then received a voicemail yesterday to say that it has gone missing during the interview process. The scheme was the only copy I had and covered the entire academic year. I'm very upset that more care was not taken during the process and would like to ask for advice.

Thanks

Noog

2. Terrible news. Of course the best advice comes from a higher authority.....Jesus Saves!!! Easy in hindsight to wish one had kept a copy. Is it not on a computer somewhere? You do not say if you got the job. Cynics might say that someone kept your scheme because it was so useful, but then the school no doubt has a photocopier. Strange it has gone astray and most likely another candidate has it in his sticky mitt, by accident or design. There by the grace of God go us all. Sorry but unless the current holder finds it, recognises where it came from, and seeks to return it, I expect it is lost forever. Not much joy in this post and you must be gutted.

3. Hi Beargrease,

I am gutted, it was a lot of work. I came second out of 90 applicants and an internal candidate got the job. Indeed I wish I had stayed and insisted I take it with me rather than rely on it being posted back to make sure I had it. I guess it may have been handed back to another candidate by mistake.

:-(

4. Well done for getting that far and sorry they lost your work, that is really unfair. Did you not have a copy on your computer or had you hand written it? (May have missed something here.)

5. Thanks palestpink. I did have a digital copy and then tea was dropped on my laptop, not having much luck at the moment it seems.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh Magpie, what double, triple, quadruple, multiple bad luck!
    I feel really very very sorry for you!
    There is nothing that you can do as regards the school, I'm afraid. They had no reason to know that this was the only copy existing to keep it under lock and key. You could just try a letter/e-mail of distress, telling them about the tea accident, and see if they'll have another look for you.
    But don't hold your breath . . .
    Now, the laptop.
    Tip 1 If the tea wasn't too sugary, there is something that you can try to dry it out. Buy a lot - at least 3 kilos - of cheap rice. If you go to a shop that deals with Chinese or Indian restaurants, you could get a catering pack of 5 kilos for not much more than you'd pay for a pack of Uncle Ben's in Tesco.
    Then pour the rice partly into a large plastic bag or container, put your laptop in too (with lid open), pour in rest of rice so completely covered and surrounded, close and try to make it airtight. Your 99p Shop or Poundland might have a large container you could use.
    Leave for a week for the rice to draw out the moisture.
    Cross your fingers - it might work.
    Tip 2 Outlaw ALL drinks and sticky cakes etc near computers. I am always moaning at Mrs TG about this!
    Tip 3 Really really important documents should be kept in the Cloud. The easiest way to do this is to just e-mail them to yourself, and then have a folder in your e-mail in-tray called something like Curriculum or Planning and put them in there.
    If you are going to an interview, e-mail all your plans, hand-outs etc to yourself and you'll be able to access them from their computers just by opening your e-mail. This is an excellent back up system, I use it all the time.
    I'm sorry that you have had all this trouble - have some chocolate on me.
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes

7. Fantastic Theogriff. Wish I'd known about the rice when I dropped my phone (Nokia) in a bucket of sloppy dog food. I tried turning it on again...disaster. Does this tip really work?

8. Thanks TheoGriff :)

For the chocolate, rice laptop tricks, tips and understanding sympathy. It has been a bad luck triple whammy.
    I will try the rice in a bag trick, cross all fingers then uncross them and try emailing to explain the tea situation and ask them to have another look.

Noog

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes.
    It worked when Mrs TG dropped my precious precious precious Kindle into the Kitchen Sink.
    Reading when washing up - I ask you!
    Doesn't work if sugary (i.e. Beer . . .) or salty (the sea).

Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

10. You poor thing that is really bad luck [​IMG] I do hope Theo's tips work and please as Theo says back everything super important up by e-mailing them to yourself. I also have about 3 memory sticks for curriculum stuff (we have all been there!).
    Things can only get better!
    [​IMG]