1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Return of KS2 SATs papers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tillyanne, Jun 28, 2012.

1. NIXIEH

NIXIEH New commenter

I am really worried about our externally marked writing now[​IMG] Can someone point me in the direction of the new formula for calculating an overall English level please.

2. Alena

Alena New commenter

Don't worry.
    Formula is simple. If you think chn are level 3 they get 30 marks, level 4 = 40 marks and level 5 = 50 marks. You add on their reading score and get a level overall from that when thresholds are released next week. Externally marked writing tests mean nothing this year - you just report your teacher assessment level.

Alena. X

3. Alena

Alena New commenter

Don't worry.
    Formula is simple. If you think chn are level 3 they get 30 marks, level 4 = 40 marks and level 5 = 50 marks. You add on their reading score and get a level overall from that when thresholds are released next week. Externally marked writing tests mean nothing this year - you just report your teacher assessment level.

Alena. X

4. We got our English papers back on Friday. We were chosen as one of the sample schools to do the writing paper and have them externally marked.The marking was dreadful. We had one child, moderated and confirmed by the borough as is a level 6, marked ridiculously low by the marker. I wonder if they even READ it! If we had to report those results, we'd be sending at least half of the scripts back to be re-marked!

5. Exactly the same!!! Based on last years level thresholds I have seven level 5 readers (Level 4+87%). So pleased with the reading. [​IMG]
    However, like you, I am totally horrified about my external writing scores. They've marked incredibly low.
    I have <u>60%</u> level 4+ with one who has scraped a level 5c!
    <u>41%</u> at level 3 (9 kids)! I only had two in the class!!!!
    I previously teacher assessed at least nine level 5 writers!! Utterly shocked, upset and very very disappointed! [​IMG]
    Has anybody else come across the same with the external writing paper?

6. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

Oh god......
    I've not got any back yet.....
    But all this is making me very scared........[​IMG]

7. Unfortunately in my school, it seems that the yr3,4,5 teachers don't see it that way. Out of a cohort of 40, 8 children achieved an N on our autumn assessments. Going on what we've worked out from the results so far, most of them have achieved a level 4 (some even a 5!) because yr 6 teachers saw their potential and the children have worked incredibly hard.

I hope they don't move the goal posts too much, it's not fair on the children.

8. dunkiep

dunkiep New commenter

Crikey, I forgot about this conundrum. What they got in the external writing test could be largely irrelevant this year. It's all about what we report for TA. My class have done well, but if they had done badly, I'd just have ignored the test results and happily reported them at the highest level I gave them in practice. Is everyone else going to report the scores immediately after the July 10 release of level thresholds? It stands to reason that no school will want to make things awkward for themselves - the only levels that will be changed under teacher assessment will be those that underperformed on the day! By the way Alena, I've not seen that formula before anywhere - where do you get it? Do you give 60 marks for a level 6 writer??

9. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

got mine back today..... based on last years thresholds they are all ok........
    Just hope thresholds don't change much.....!!!!!

10. papers back - not L6 ones. Will thresholds and results be on the 10th or anytime from now?

11. Alena

Alena New commenter

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/assessment/keystage2/pupil/b00209308/english-levels/english-formula

Hope that helps.

Just noticed today though that a child awarded 40 points for a level 4 in writing, who scores 30 in reading, which would also be a level 4 using last year's thresholds would score a level 5 overall using last year's thresholds. Think the level thresholds have to change this year.

Alena.

12. dunkiep

dunkiep New commenter

Thanks for that, will try to get my head round it later. First I've got to read application forms, set up for sports day, sort scenery out for school play, arrange for caretaker to make a new stage, check out KS1 levels, prepare for performance management, arrange new school council handover, make 20 CD roms of photos for leavers and a few more things like that first. Aaaaaaaah, Mr Gove, you just don't get it, do you????

13. gill42

gill42 New commenter

I'm the exact opposite to you lot - I want the reading thresholds to go down - despite tons of prep, they really bombed on the reading test - first year in year 6 too - may not have a job by next Tuesday :(

14. us too the marking was really random - i have level 5 children just scraping a 4 rediculous - thank goodness TA is being used this year.

15. dunkiep

dunkiep New commenter

But what about this? http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/assessment/keystage2/teacher/b00208568/ks2/english Overall TA of English is supposed to be calculated by averaging out reading, writing AND speaking & listening levels. Doesn't that contradict the other DFE link you posted? H..E...L..P!!! Nothing about this has been properly explained this year.

16. poet

poet New commenter

God us too. Reading looks shocking :( *sob*

17. I'd like them to go down a little as well!!

18. FriedEggs

FriedEggs New commenter

Both are correct.
    The teacher assessed level of English has always been made by averaging the teacher assessed levels in reading, writing, speaking and listening. This is done for you by your MIS, you don't have to worry.
    The test scores for reading and writing used to be added together to make a total english test score, which was used to work out the test assessed level of English. Now that the writing test has 'gone' (is not reported), they can't do this any more, so the cludge is to allocate an arbitrary writing score based on the teacher assessed level, add this to the real reading score and produce a new total english score. So the 'test assessed' level of English is actually half based on teacher assessment as well.
    Sounds like a mess, looks like a mess, is a mess.

19. Oh god you've got me worried, our reading papers still aren't back and that's the one I'm most worried about!

20. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

We've had some low reading scores... If a level 5 really is in the mid-30s, then that's really going to impact on some overall levels for some eager little pupils and disappoint them and their parents! Oh, crikey, I'm not looking forward to next week in that respect!