1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Return after maternity - advice needed

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by just4kidstv, Jan 2, 2018.

1. just4kidstv

just4kidstv New commenter

Hi,

I've been at my current school since September 2015.

I went on maternity leave February 2017 and I am due to go back.

I have a few questions as I just want see what all my possibilities are.

1. Initially I was going to return in September and I was told I was going to be in a new year group but same tlr post (head of year) for the same year group.
    When I told the school of my intention to take my full mat leave they responded with I will be teaching in nursery part time and a year group lead for year 4. That annoyed me as no other year group leader needs to plan and teach and overlook 2 year groups. Only one nursery am and pm so I would be doing that myself too. But I still agreed.
    2. Since my child has developed medical problems - long term. So i asked the school if I could return part time at least until July so that medical training etc can be given to my child's nursery. I'm due to have a meeting but I know judging by the schools response they will ask me or encourage me to give up my tlr position. I have worked very very hard. My school had been ri since forever! Before I started GLD was at 40% in rec and I turned it around and we are now above national average with an ofted grading of outstanding. For me giving up this role is basically taking a step back in my career. Is this classified as discrimination? Are they allowed to do this? Can they reject me from going part time because I refuse to give up my tlr post?
    3.With all this going on I feel I wish I could just leave and start afresh somewhere else. Is it possible or has anyone left their position at a school by not following the resignation dates? I know it means returning mat pay but I'm due to return in march. So I've missed the resignation date. If I want to leave I have to return to work and continue working until Easter time. Is that correct? And if I do return even for 2 months do I still need to pay back all my additional mat or will I get to keep some for working a few months. The Hr is rubbish for this LA I was told "I think you should have an idea"

Sorry if this is confusing!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

1. Annoying, but you've agreed some time ago, so not a lot you can do about it now.
    2. They can agree or refuse part time in any case. They cannot make you give up your TLR, it is part of your entire job. They can ask you to and they may well say a TLR post holder needs to be in school full time. But it is up to you what you decide there. Your union should be supporting you in negotiations with this, if needed.
    3, Career wise, you would be better off going back with whatever the school needs from you and looking for a new post for September. Personal life though, it's up to you, but yes you are tied until Easter.

3. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

I'm sorry you are having such a tough time, and hope everything works out with your son.
    It's maybe a shame that you agreed to the year group change, with leadership of a different one. If every other TLR post holder leads in the year group they teach, it might have been possible to argue that you were being treated less favourably after maternity leave.
    However, that doesn't help much now.

If you want to keep your TLR but also go part time, you would need to explain to the school how you would be able to fulfil your role without being full time. Some schools are more receptive to this than others...

Depending on how much time you need for training those caring for your child, is it also worth considering things like parental leave (unpaid), compassionate leave (see your school policy) and / or having an open conversation with your head about your family's needs?
    How that meeting goes would give you a good idea about whether to start looking for other jobs.
    Good luck!

4. daisydayz13

daisydayz13 New commenter

Sorry to hear that your child had medical needs. If thier needs are a recongnised disability you might be covered by the disability act.

Anonymouse4 likes this.
  5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

After full maternity leave you are entitled to go back to a post of equivalent standing (pay really...) but not necessarily the exact same role.

6. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Request to work part-time then review the situation in a few months time. If you are still in the same scenario, then there is always the option of handing your notice in.