1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retraining

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by jacob001, Apr 13, 2016.

1. jacob001

jacob001 New commenter

Hi all,

Was wondering if you had any advice for me?

Am currently a TA at a secondary academy and have rediscovered a passion for Science and Biology (am an Eng. Lit. graduate but have become really disillusioned with the subject) and am currently trying to update my qualifications by taking new A Levels (whilst I was at Sixth Form, due to personal reasons, did not take the qualification even though I attended the classes) with a view to applying for ITT when they're all sorted. Does anyone have any advice for this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance!

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

You'll have to do an SKE course to teach Science, even with Science A Levels. They will definitely help to support your application though! I'd also want to see that you've thought about the pedagogy of teaching Science - can you do some bits of teaching to support your application?

3. jacob001

jacob001 New commenter

Thanks for the feedback! For the past term and a half I've been running revision sessions for SEN students and doing some interventions between the Science department and my own which I hope will count towards something at some stage.

4. Janey214

Janey214 New commenter

Hi Jacob, you could always see if they would let you team teach part of a lesson if you wanted. That would help support your application to ITT. I taught a few classes before applying to ITT and it helped me in interview when they asked about experiences in schools.