1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retraining from secondary to primary

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by sairs39, Apr 2, 2007.

1. I am currently teaching French and German in a secondary school but also teach French in a local primary school once a week. I am thinking about retraining to teach in primary schools and need some advice as to how to go about it.Any ideas?

2. I am currently teaching French and German in a secondary school but also teach French in a local primary school once a week. I am thinking about retraining to teach in primary schools and need some advice as to how to go about it.Any ideas?

3. I also taught French and German in a secondary school - and then moved to an independent Prep school where I now teach yr 4 - 8. I didn't need to retrain to do this and there are possibilities for me to teach lower years as well. Worth considering.

4. nosignoflife

nosignoflife Occasional commenter

I don't think you need to retrain. YOu just need to find a school that will give you the job. I have worked with ex secondary teachers who moved to primary and none of them retrained. you are already working in a primary school which shows willing. I guess if you are looking at offering foreign languages it would be easier than if you are anticipating being a class teacher, (to get the job in the first place) If you want to be a class teacher, you'd be well advised to get some work experience in a class for a week or so, if you can, give you a flavour of the job. Once you get the job, go on all the courses you possibly can:)

Good luck

5. Last post is right - you don't need to retrain you have QTS - which is a qualification to teach. You just need to find a school who would be willing to take you on.

6. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

7. ChilePhilly

ChilePhilly New commenter

a member of our department has been made redundant this year (from part time). She has decided to work her way around all the local primaries just teaching MFL. My school have paid for her to do a PMFL course - would yours?

8. I'm interested in this too. I taught German and French in secondary for 8 years and have spent the last 8 teaching English in Germany. Does anyone have info on PMFL courses?

9. you have probably had replies elsewhere, but make sure you contact your regional support group for pmfl, or whatever they are calling it now. There are free twilight sessions of varying usefulness, but ours also holds a series of one day courses (£). You can find the links from nacell.org.uk

:eek:)