1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retraining as a science teacher

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by denniscollins, Aug 10, 2017.

1. denniscollins

denniscollins New commenter

I'll be going into my sixth year of primary teaching in a few weeks' time, and have been teaching internationally since the very beginning. I've had itchy feet for quite some time when it comes to teaching in primary, and I think I'm ready to make the leap and retrain to teach secondary science. It was either that, or primary teaching when I was making my college choices at the end of secondary school, so it's nothing new really.

I'm fairly certain of almost all the details surrounding it. The only thing I'm not sure of is the salary when teaching internationally. I've heard from a few people that science and maths teachers can earn a quite a bit more when negotiating salaries at international schools, in comparison to teachers of other subjects or primary teachers. Anyone know if that's true or not?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Don't know - but if that's your photo you need to get this post removed.

Moony and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

And you'd almost certainly need respectable qualifications in (a) science - what's your first degree?

pepper5 and Moony like this.
  4. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

I taught science abroad in a British school in Europe and the pay at the time was at least 50% less than what I was earning in London which is why I decided to return ( even when taking into consideration the expensive standard of living in London). I know we complain about long hours and pay but it's actually better than working in a private international school in Europe which might be less stressful ( you will be teaching the children of the rich and famous). I did it for a life changing experience and that's certainly what I got but the salary was too poor ! it depends what you want money was NOT the attraction !

If you aim to teach and are lucky enough to win a place in a European state school that will be a different matter ( in many countries positions are highly sought after, the salary is very good as is the pension but you'll have to be a fluent speaker of the language) and require you to take the a public teachers examination... however they tend to give their own graduates first but I stand to be corrected !

If you are going to teach say in UAE it's a different story ..tax free and better than a London salary and I hear there is help with accommodation but I'm sure other posters here will inform you. Many of my younger colleagues rave about teaching in UAE and I think this might be the best option for you.

As far as I've heard science WILL NOT give you a better salary and in my case it certainly didn't but that was a while ago things might have changed -my younger colleagues however never mentioned that they were better paid than their non science teacher peers.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you are teaching internationally, try one of the prep schools first.
    Then you can probably teach some science alongside other subjects first. Also they will be less fussed about you having A-Levels in science if you are joining a settled department.
    Once you have established yourself as a science teacher, then think about moving to secondary, if that still appeals.

But don't expect to earn a significant amount more.

6. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

You need to have a science degree ideally for teaching science in school. If you don't have one at the moment you need to look at picking up some extra science. I do know one teacher that was PE originally and side stepped into science, I think their degree was some aspect of sports science making the transition possible but they did also spend time working on their subject knowledge to make sure it was up to spec.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

:eek: Even these days???

Granted, I only know what I read on here and in the DM, but I was under the impression that anyone expressing an interest in teaching science or maths was welcomed with open arms in some schools, and given a full time teaching commitment in that dept within moments. :rolleyes:;)

8. secretteacher2357

secretteacher2357 Occasional commenter

I know of a school where a recently employed maths teacher, who has a maths degree, has just been told she is teaching a 50% physics timetable next year.
    When she went to see the HT to tell him she had no clue about physics she was told "a good teacher can teach any subject, and anyway physics is just a different kind of maths".

9. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

And to think of all those years of training, hurdles, expensive CPD, and other courses this HT has gone through to reach such a conclusion ...worrying !

10. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Based on HTs comment one could argue the same for being a HT ! ;)

secretteacher2357 likes this.
  11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The Royal Society of Chemistry and Institute of Physics (I don't know about biology courses) run courses to help develop skills for science teachers from other science subjects to increase their skill levels. Usually their schools pay the fees. These could be worth exploring.

12. Fizzbobble

Fizzbobble Occasional commenter

The IoP's courses are free. No fees!

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

14. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I am very disappointed with the RTT. The first time I registered online I heard noting more, the next time I just received information on expensive MSc courses.