1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retrain?....Please HELP ?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by PR1NCESS, Nov 8, 2015.

1. PR1NCESS

PR1NCESS New commenter

Hi All
    Always been a reader of the forum/threads never posted, partly because I am nervous about not getting a reply or may ask a silly question. However, I am in a desperate state now and would love any advice y'all can offer.
    Trained as a citizenship teacher (when it was the rage ) now I can't seem to get a job I have tried applying for other jobs and have been supplying sine January.
    My contract ends this term and I still have not secured a post to start my induction year. Should I retrain to do another pgce in RE as it is my first love. Since citizenship jobs are nonexistent would retraining help?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear, what a difficult situation you are in, I am really sorry for you.

I am afraid that there are two pieces of bad, sad, news for you.

Firstly, although citizenship is statutory in the secondary national curriculum, and despite the emphasis on British values, and Prevent, the teaching of it, as you have seen, is not given much prominence in most schools. You can read more about it in a website that is probably well known to you:

Citizenship Foundation

Secondly, as you already have a PGCE, you cannot do another one. You are qualified, and that's that.

And in fact a great deal of your earlier PGCE will be very relevant to teaching another subject. What was your degree? If it was R.E. based, then you could just start applying for R.E, posts anyway. Or for any post that reflects your degree subject.

So that's the not bad-sad news!

Best wishes

3. missbern

missbern New commenter

4. missbern

missbern New commenter

Hi hope you don't mind me jumping in here but I am having the same problems. Im a qualified secondary music teacher who worked in a Middle school teaching art until it was closed by the authority. I did a year as a primary school teacher but its not for me. Any ideas of jobs I could apply for?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nearly missed this, @missbern - always better to start a new thread with a new question as old threads don't always get re-visited!

Do you mean teaching jobs, or jobs ingeneral?

Best wishes

6. missbern

missbern New commenter

Ok thanks for replying. I meant teaching jobs. Im currently working as a supply teacher but I really want to get back into full time teaching....I miss it. Is it appropriate for me to apply for other creative its subjects as my degree is in music?

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Your PGCE is valid for any teaching; you could even apply to teach A-level Physics but I wouldn't advise it!

However some experience in teaching music would be best; could you not tell your Supply Agency that you would do that too, so that you could get some lessons under your belt and begin to get a feel for what works and what doesn't? You'll need to teach an observed lesson at interview, don't forget, if your application gets that far.

Come over to the Jobseekers Forum when you are thinking of actually looking for jobs and applying, and I'll give specific advice on that.

Best wishes

8. missbern

missbern New commenter

Thank you Theo. Ive already told my agency I want to be considered for music jobs long or short term. Supply is very quiet at the moment as Im sure you are aware. Ive been supplying for 2 years after being made redundant; I was a middle school teacher teaching music and art and a whole host of other subjects. After the school was closed by the LA, I secured role at a primary school teaching music but hated it. I'm a secondary gal through and through. My main problem is lack of KS4 and 5 exp I think. I have applied for 4 jobs so far, one being a music job working for a music service, but nothing as yet. Anyway, thank you for your advice and I will have a look at jobseekers forum. Sorry for long reply.
    :)

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

10. missbern

missbern New commenter

I will have a look. Thank you again.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)

12. PR1NCESS

PR1NCESS New commenter

Thanks The
    Although the news is bad-sad. It's best to know. I am very grateful for your reply. True, in my pgce course we did a lot of History RE and Geography ♢Humanities really.
    Thanks again I guess you will see a lot more of me Theo asking more advice as I try to locate the semeeingly elusive job. I feel bad but I must fight on.☺