1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retrain into Maths - how?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by pickles177, Nov 19, 2018.

1. pickles177

pickles177 New commenter

hi all
    I am needing some advice on how to retrain into teaching Maths from teaching ICT and Computing.

My school has said that I should get an A-level in Maths but is that the best place to start? Im struggling to find some evening courses

With thanks for anyones help

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The OU has a degree in "Maths and its learning", and the level 3 modules in that were originally aimed at people like you - you can still study them as stand-alone modules, rather than part of a degree. (Look for "Mathematical thinking in schools" and "Developing algebraic/geometric/statistical thinking" here. Is your school willing to fund your study?

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

If the school's willing to stump up then go for whatever they say. Bet not though.

There's a shortage in Maths and Science and I'm getting £195 a day as supply for delivering these long-term in West Yorkshire. Okay I'm worth it in Maths but I've barely a full year's experience in Science and desperate bottom-end schools will still throw that amount of money at me. So do you need to spend your time and money on retraining? Your future value will almost certainly hinge on the scarcity of Maths teachers rather than any qualifications or re-training.

Or consider the many teachers of lesser subjects who are shoe-horned into teaching Maths and nobody worries about their qualifications.

4. jonnymarr

jonnymarr New commenter

Stiltskin likes this.
  5. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Not sure if it is still running but I did a maths ITT from Computing at a University. It lasted and year and means you are qualified to teach Maths.

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter