1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retiring...

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Marshall, May 26, 2019.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

… see previous posts.

I am so disappointed that not one of the governors has contacted me to talk to me. This after 15 years of excellent (really excellent) school results, happy parents and children. There have been recent problems.

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Marshall, if you have given written notice then make sure your Chair of Gov replies in writing to accept your resignation. You need this to prove to TPS to prove that you can apply for ARB pension. That would also be the appropriate place for them to thank you positively for your service.

Marshall and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You have every right to be disappointed, after such devotion to the job and excellent results.

Simple things like manners and courtesy do not seem to be so important to many these days.:(

Marshall and Sundaytrekker like this.
  4. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

CoG has not accepted my letter (to retire in December) and wants me to find out how much difference my pension will be if I go in July (his suggestion). He mentioned something about the pay from September until December. He wants to meet after half term.

Thoughts - they have no right to ask about my personal finances so I have involved my union again. Union thinks they are are looking at offering me a contractual payout (settlement agreement)?

I told CoG that I will meet after half term and that my union would be in attendance. He has now asked HR to involved as well.

I really want to go in July so I will fight for a SA.

5. Lara mfl 05

Remember that if you go in July there will be reduced NI contributions after Aug. (make sure you ask to leave at the end of Aug not July) to factor in and may mean you won't have enough weeks to make a qualifying year for 19/20 and how that affects your pension. Remember women now need 35 qualifying years.
    Don't know where you'd look for that sort of info, but please don't let the governors push you into decisions which will later on have bigger impact than you now realise. Ask your Union for advice and where to find out all the relevant information.

Marshall and Sundaytrekker like this.
  6. Sundaytrekker

They can’t refuse for ARB if you give them more than six month’s notice in writing. If you want a settlement instead then get the union’s help and get them onside with Lara’s point about the state pension. You can find out your position regarding your state pension by registering on gov.uk/personal tax account
    and you can phone hmrc. Like most of us you are likely to need to contribute longer even than 35 years to get the full new pension so it’s important you don’t lose this year.

Lara mfl 05 and Marshall like this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Thanks Lara and Sundaytrekker - I have only considered my teacher pension not my state pension -which won't kick in for another 7 years and I will have 35 years contribution - I think. Something to check this week.

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You can request a listing of your NI contribution history, and I think it comes through fairly quickly.

Marshall and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

I don't think that is a problem for Marshall, but the possible implications on State Pension if she leaves in August rather than December and how she need to factor such considerations into any 'Settlement Agreement', which might have later implications.

Marshall likes this.
  10. paulstevenjones

paulstevenjones New commenter

How long has the chair been in post? Perhaps they don’t have that perspective of your years of outstanding service. I remember a head of a church school telling me once they he didn’t get as much as a thank you card or call from the diocese when he retired after 35 years service. It’s a disgrace and very sad. You get a Christmas card from a Chinese restaurant after one takeaway!

11. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

I'm slightly staggered by the suggestion from your Chair, that you go in July!
    Presumably they are suggesting gardening leave, on full pay, til December?

12. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Update - they have agreed a settlement agreement and because I am off sick to look after hubs, it means I won't be going back.

Sad, disappointed, elated and so many more emotions are fizzing through me at the moment.

13. Lara mfl 05

Oh ((((Marshall)))). That must be so tough.
    I do trust you've got a good deal out of this-one where you can truly move on later.

14. Sundaytrekker

Marshall, that’s tough. Even tougher without a proper goodbye. I do hope the agreement took good note of the term’s lost pay and pension.

The deed is done and I’m sure your emotions will rocket one way and another. Try to let yourself settle and, at least, you can be available at home for now.

So sorry. No one wants a career to end like this.

digoryvenn and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. cornflake

Have your union suggested the SA? You could be off sick for a good while yet - are you SURE you want this?

Sundaytrekker and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I am happy with the agreement - paid until December. I need to get out of the situation as it's dragging me down.

17. cornflake

Good to hear you are being paid - and sounds like there is an up-side

18. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Really tired - is this normal? Didn't wake up until 9am thins morning!

19. Sundaytrekker

You’ve been under enormous strain. Reaction?

Lara mfl 05 and Marshall like this.
  20. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Think it's a reaction. Just giving into it as far as I can and not feeling guilty about it.

Sundaytrekker and Lara mfl 05 like this.