1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retiring Early in 2019

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Gainingcontrol, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Gainingcontrol

Gainingcontrol New commenter

Just had a 9 day break in London to ease myself into retirement. In depth tours of the British Museum, British Library, Houses of Parliament, Dickens Museum, Westminster Abbey, Evensong at St. Paul's, Temple Church, Greenwich Observatory, Bank of England Museum etc.. Took 850+ photos. Didn't dream about school at all. Lump sum arrived into the account promptly. First morning back home. Slept in until 8.30 and then went for a haircut. Plenty of DIY, photography, research and writing projects lined up! Sheer bliss!

lardylegs, suzuki1690, bevdex and 3 others like this.
  2. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

Sounds like you've had a really interesting break in London, Gainingcontrol.
    You also seem to be well organised for how to spend your retirement years. Enjoy! :D

Startedin82 and Gainingcontrol like this.
  3. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

I retired last Friday, 5th, but being a primary Head it's not as simple as that. I've still got my office to tidy and finish editing/deleting/storing my 1000s of computer files. My successor is not in post yet and the Site Manager is in America on holiday and so I'm also doing the running of taps and toilet flushing (legionellosis prevention) as well as letting workmen in. To crown it all I had to attend school on Tuesday morning at 3 a.m. for an alarm activation. All in all it's safe to say I'm not retired yet! I don't mind too much because, as per the Burgundy Book, I'm paid until 30th April which is the official last day of me being in post - even though term starts on Tuesday 23rd. I'm handing over the keys to my successor early on Bank Holiday Monday and then will feel "finished" and retired on Tuesday 23rd!

4. Gainingcontrol

Gainingcontrol New commenter

Startedin82 I have often said 'you can't teach conscientiousness and initiative', and you obviously have both. You will leave with a good conscience on 23rd and enjoy a rejuvenation process without the responsibilities! Not long to go - the finishing line is in sight!

eljefeb90 and Startedin82 like this.
  5. Brianthedog

Brianthedog Occasional commenter

I retired on the 29th, lump sum paid out on 30th but no actual pension until May as my birthdate is the 7th.
    So far, I've bought a new car ( I did plan to!), adopted a pair of kittens, paid off my mortgage, ordered new windows and a new roof. I've also found several direct debits that I didn't have a clue what they were for and cancelled them It's amazing how much money you waste when you have no time to check.
    I'm planning a couple of holidays at the end of summer and next spring, out of school holiday time. I will be back in school a couple of days a week as they have not yet found a replacement for me . I'll be able to go in whichever days I choose as I'm not class based.
    I used to spend the second week of a 2 week holiday working from home and worrying about going back. It feels strange not to be doing the same this time.

eljefeb90, bevdex, Prim and 3 others like this.
  6. fariduddin

fariduddin New commenter

Good luck to you, happy I start phased retirement fron 23rd April and have joined a ladies cricket club. Also planning to book short cheap holidays in term time.