1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retiring Early in 2019

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Gainingcontrol, Oct 28, 2018.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

How true!

The voice in my head said to go last year at 56. I decided to apply reason and give it one more year to see if going was the right decision. By the end of September,it was clear to me that it was, and I will be going at the end of this school year.
    However,this extra year is doing me great heard,mentally and physically.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  2. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Glad to hear you are confident that you've made the right decision, I think my wife took about 15 months after stopping to actually feel like she had 'recovered'.

One of my friends, a colleague, had a favourite saying (a Charles de Gaulle quote I believe) "The graveyards are full of indispensable people". He didn't get to retire, that was a fairly big influence on our decision to go early. I wish you well.

suzuki1690 likes this.
  3. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

@catmother The curse of autocorrect confused your last sentence, did you mean 'harm', not 'heard' ?

catmother likes this.
  4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes,harm it was. I had not noticed that!

5. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Teaching is really attritional and the stress levels are far too high. It is really difficult to stand back and objectively assess the toll it takes while you are actually working, unless, of course, you experience a WRS related crisis. I personally found that some of the pressure decreased during my last two terms but I left with a very negative feeling towards teaching. Three years on, I have a more balanced view regarding my career, but it took me some time to work through the negativity and resentment. Please remember that the end is in sight,that you can start ticking off those 'last evers' and start actively planning for your future life away from the grindstone.

catmother likes this.
  6. Gainingcontrol

Gainingcontrol New commenter

Yes. Every extra year that you teach after the age of 50 comes at a potential cost to your health. 10% of men die in their 50s as the pressures of life take their toll and aggravate any potential health issues. I have had two brothers-in-law die before me at 49 and 54. Four boys out of my own mixed school class of 30 are gone. My 'last time' tick list is now into minor task territory. Only 28 working days to go to 31st March! The feeling of relief is growing!

7. Gainingcontrol

Three weeks / 15 working days to go! Starting to get excited!

8. Brianthedog

Brianthedog Occasional commenter

I got excited one Sunday several months ago when I realised after some calculations that I could afford to retire this year. The sense of relief was shocking! I realised just how much I was stressed about a job I really do love, but was pushed because of the ridiculous accountability we are under.
    I just feel very sorry for those new to the job who will not have access to their pensions until they are at least 62.

9. Gainingcontrol

5 working days to go! A week ahead meeting with the staff who are taking over my various roles of responsibility, and preparing my 6 classes for the transition to the newly appointed RQT. All major tasks have been completed or brought up to date and I am looking forward to quietly moving on to the next life stage! A sense of peace and calm is descending!

Prim and Dorsetdreams like this.
  10. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

Congratulations, gainingcontrol. A new, exciting chapter awaits you.
    This week will fly by! :D

Gainingcontrol likes this.
  11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I would feel sorry for them,except they don't really make it easy to have any sympathy for them.

12. paulstevenjones

paulstevenjones New commenter

What do you mean by this?

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Where I teach,a lot of NQAs seem to think they are the saviour of education and some really look down in anyone in their 50s as well past it.

suzuki1690 likes this.
  14. Brianthedog

That's a shame! Where I work, the younger teachers really respect the older ones and are always asking for advice. Most NQTs I've come across realise very early in that they know ****** all about teaching, despite their first class degrees, and know it's going to be a hard slog to gain skills.

tonilightwing and Startedin82 like this.
  15. Gainingcontrol

I must say that all of the teachers taking over my posts are queuing up for advice and are wanting to 'pick my brain'. I taught one and helped the others settle in as NQTs. They are all very competent and conscientious. Their enthusiasm, youth and energy in these planning roles will be good for the school. I can leave with a good conscience. Got my pension statement today. It was a few hundred p.a. more than expected. 4 days to go!

16. Gainingcontrol

Well BREXIT didn't happen yesterday, but my EXIT went very smoothly! Everyone was very kind! The burden of responsibility has lifted, now I just need a good rest before starting the next chapter! :)

bevdex, eljefeb90 and Sundaytrekker like this.
  17. Brianthedog

I hotness mine last week, and was expecting my lump sum next Monday, but a quick check at the. Cashppint this morning excited me enormously! My lump sum went in today!

18. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Congratulations to both of you! I put my form in this week and wrote my official letter to the governors. It's really happening, I go at the end of this academic year.

19. fariduddin

fariduddin New commenter

I am turning 55, going part time 0.7 FTE on phased retirement starting 23rd April. Great feeli g after 32 years on teaching. This is to ease me into full retirement. Cant afford to go yet due to ARB factor.
    Good luck to you all.

Gainingcontrol, bevdex and eljefeb90 like this.
  20. Brianthedog

Apparently so excited I am unable to edit my posts