1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retiring after This October Half Term

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by bonaventure, Sep 5, 2020.

1. bonaventure

bonaventure New commenter

Is it too late to hand in notice in order to retire after end of this half term? Thank you

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What country are you in? What sort of school? Are you a teacher or in some other role? You aren't giving us very much information!

Nearly all school contracts of employment for teachers that I've come across say you can only resign from the end of a term, not from half term. It makes no difference to your notice period whether you are resigning to go to another job or resigning to retire. The notice period is the same. If you are intending to draw a TPS pension you should research the rules about notifying TPS.

If you are a teacher in a LA maintained school or an academy that has adopted Burgundy Book conditions of employment the earliest you can stop working is Christmas and to do that you must hand in your notice by 31st October (30th September for headteachers). Private schools typically have longer notice periods.

If you are a TA or some other role in a school it will be different.

3. bonaventure

bonaventure New commenter

Thanks so much for your prompt detailed reply. I am a part time teacher working in a primary academy. I wasn’t sure of the conditions but suspected they may have been as you described. I think I will advise my HT next week of my wish to retire in December but explain I would be willing to leave earlier if this was possible. As it’s an academy, I feel this could be an option.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That sounds like a plan. There's nothing to prevent a school agreeing to a shorter notice period and letting you go at half term if the head wants to. If you don't ask you won't find out! Maybe the school is under financial pressure and would be delighted, for financial reasons, to shed a staff member asap.

Do check out the rules and procedures for applying for your TPS pension though if that's what you are hoping to live on.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

Of you are in Scotland 4 working weeks.
    Of course if you are not, then I don't know the rules exactly, but you could just resign. I think they can hold back the pension for some time, is it 6 months if you do that?
    Others will know!

6. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

If you’re in a UK school then yes- too late I’m afraid. It’s only 7 weeks away. You can however retire at Christmas, just make sure you inform your headteacher of your intentions by October 31st.

7. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

Please don't say UK if you mean England!

Scotland is 4 term time weeks, education is devolved!

Arkle20, Rott Weiler and Ezzie like this.