1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Retiring abroad? What about Bulgaria?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by the hippo, May 4, 2011.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I don't want everyone to reply to this post at the same time, as I won't be able to read them all.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have just seen your post. I can only say that I would not like to retire to Bulgaria but I suppose it's whatever turns you on.

3. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Have never been there but Bulgaria always gives me the impression of being COOOOLD!!!!

4. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

PS Will be able to answer your actual question more next year. Am retiring to France then.(Bring it on!!)

5. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Semi-retired in New Zealand. Love it!

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, Bulgaria does get very cold in the winter, with some serious snow. The good news is that the winters are short and sharp, but the summers are long and hot. Remember that it's just round the corner from Greece.
    The problem with the UK is that I just cannot afford to retire there and I don't understand how anyone on a teacher's salary can do it either! If your granny has popped her clogs and left you a house or two, then maybe it is possible, but I have not inherited a penny from anyone. Some taxes (VAT, for example) are the same, whether you are retired or not. Okay, you should get a reduction on your Council Tax if you are a pensioner, but the overall tax burden keeps going up for everybody. As for the cost of property, how can you buy a nice home on a teacher's salary? I would like a large detached house in the country, with maybe three or four bedrooms, a garage, a big garden and some nice views. I reckon that in the UK a property like that would cost me about a million. In Bulgaria it was only twenty thousand.