1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retirement

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MillyBailey, Jun 28, 2020.

1. MillyBailey

MillyBailey New commenter

if I hand in my notice now how soon can I leave my job?
    Decided to retire.

2. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

December 31st if working under standard conditions.
    Congratulations!:)

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Ok ..... maybe you'd like to tell us a bit more about the situation?

Your question is impossible to answer with any accuracy without knowing more about you.

What's your job? What country do you work in? What's your contractual notice period? Why do you want to leave so suddenly?

4. MillyBailey

MillyBailey New commenter

UK based, HoD.
    Over 60, used to enjoy teaching but not in these circumstances of lockdown, which might go on into the autumn
    A change if circumstances mean there is no need to continue.
    I was thinking if I handed in my notice I'm obliged to stay until Christmas? Or could it be sooner?

5. Rott Weiler

If it's straightforward resignation, and if you are working on standard state school 'Burgundy Book' [National Conditions of Service for School Teachers] employment conditions, then resigning now would allow you to leave at 31st December. It's a long notice period at this time of year because you've just missed the resignation date to leave at end of this term.

You have until 31st October to give in your resignation for 31st December so if I were you I'd hold fire until next term before banging in my resignation. Things might change. I might feel differently by September. There's no benefit to you in resigning tomorrow.

If not on standard conditions you'd have to check your own contract of employment/get advice from your union.

All things are negotiable with your employer so head might agree to release you earlier.

Is early retirement a possibility? Not something I know much about but there are knowledgeable folk on here who do.

6. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

December 31st, although you might be able to agree a 31st October exit if they are able to appoint your replacement and they’re able to start from November.
    Do you have a colleague in your department who is ready to step up to a HoD role- or do you think that it will be an external appointment? Might make it easier if there is someone who can take over from you and knows the school. Teacher Recruitment shouldn’t be an issue- there’s many NQTs out there without a job at the moment!

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Your head can release you earlier if they wish, if they can replace you. That's normally fairly unlikely, from a HoD post, unless there's someone in the department who would be able to fill your shoes, leaving them just needing to find a rank and file teacher from the pool of NQTs/returners who haven't yet got a job. Given Covid, I think it's even less likely this year, as integrating a new member of staff is going to be rather harder than usual.

8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

If employed under the standard conditions, there are set notice periods as already detailed above.

In reality, should you decide you do not wish to adhere these contractual obligations, you can leave whenever you feel like it. You could give any period of notice you wish, then leave. You will be paid until your last day at work and unless the employer fancies some expensive, time-consuming and essentially pointless legal action, you won’t hear anything more about it.

If you are likely to ever need a reference, it is a good idea to negotiate and agree an early release date. If you won’t need a reference, then it doesn’t really matter what you do.

9. Cantwaittogo

Cantwaittogo New commenter

@MillyBailey I feel your pain re the Covid situation and congratulate you on your retirement plans. I'm going at Christmas and will gladly go after the past few months. I'm shielding and immensely worried about going back.

agathamorse and tall tales like this.
  10. dajg

dajg New commenter

In English civil law, if you're paid monthly then you only need to give 1 months notice.

If you want a reference or a few days of supply then it's Christmas.

11. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

Dajg, I don't think your information is quite correct for a teacher.

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Are they even legitimately NQTs already, under the circumstances?
    Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere on another thread...

13. Rott Weiler

That is not true. There is no relationship between the frequency with which you get paid and your notice period.

If your contract does not specify notice required then there are statutory notice periods that vary with length of service (see ACAS).

But if your contract states the notice period - as teachers' contracts do - your notice period is whatever your contract says it is.

14. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

You're going to love retirement - my blood pressure has come right down!

15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

border_walker likes this.
  16. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

As others have said, it’s Dec 31st but also at the heads discretion.
    So it will depend on your head, and possibly also your reason. You say your circumstances have changed- if for example (and I hope it’s not this) this was because your spouse had died, you had a life insurance payout so now didn’t need to work and felt that you needed to retire to get your head together, plan your future and life’s too short; a compassionate head would see that as a good reason to release you early (while also knowing that you could get yourself signed off with stress for a term if you wanted). If it’s more ‘I CBA with google classroom’, then they might be more inclined to follow procedure.
    If you are sure, I would start the conversation knowing that December 31st is the latest (assuming you are normal terms and conditions).

agathamorse likes this.
  17. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

As you are over 60 I was under the impression that you can retire at any point and stop working.
    You do not need anyones permission to take your pension as you are not taking early retirement.
    Please check with your union and TPS.

tall tales likes this.
  18. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

Your age puts you at increased risk from Covid so your Head should accept your resignation for September even though it’s late.
    A lot of older teachers are worried!

agathamorse likes this.
  19. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

In reality you hold a lot of the cards....

have a honest chat with the head ASAP.

as someone who has managed older staff as a HoD, you tend to have a succession plan in place.... I imagine there will be someone capable of at least acting up??

really, like @Pomza says, you can go whenever I guess.... it depends on your feelings towards your team though as well.... are you prepared to drop this bombshell on them at this time? Or do you go until December if the answer isn’t what you want? No judgement on you either way, just saying?

20. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

You can take your pension at any point over 60 but you have to be out of employment to claim it. You have to resign within normal teacher notice periods to leave your post. As others have said, you could speak with your head and see if they would agree to release you early on August 31st. They might do this if they have a suitable successor and especially if it will make a difference to their budget.

I wouldn’t recommend walking out on your contract without permission.

jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.