1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Retirement treats

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by stopwatch, Jun 3, 2018.

?

What are you likely to spend money on to treat yourself in retirement?

1. Pay mortgage/buy house

15.0%
  2. Holiday home

5.0%
  3. Holiday

70.0%
  4. Car

30.0%
  5. Family wedding

15.0%
  6. Family - other

40.0%
  7. Leisure activity

30.0%
  8. Garden

30.0%
  9. Technology - laptop, mobile, stereo

25.0%
  10. Sports equipment - bike etc

15.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Well - it seems we are all heading towards the same destination, some of us in a very short time. Hopefully this will bring for us a lot more free time and also a nice lump sum.

I am curious what retirement treats we have planned for ourselves, or indeed others, at the outset, and in the first phase of retirement

Please share (it might even give me some ideas):)

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

For me, my husband and I are not yet at full retirement as he is not of retirement age for another 2 years. The difference between 53 and 54 makes quite a difference for a male. :(

Having had a 'health scare' last year for us it's most important to spend time together and with family. The rest is unimportant.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Agree, laramfl - a one year difference in age can make a big difference to when you can get your state pension.

A health scare was one of the reasons we are both still working at past 60. OH had a stroke nearly 3 years ago. He's made an amazing recovery; I didn't think he would ever work again for the first few weeks, and didn't think I would be able to either. Life is very different, but he now works part-time (his firm have been brilliant) in a very different capacity. I feel it's work that 'keeps him going' - I think he may become less physically and cognitively able without the daily challenge of his job. I know we'll both be ready to go in the next couple of years, but for the moment I think keeping things as they are is the right thing for us.

When we eventually do … we will move. Much as we love our home, the health scare has made me realise I want to be somewhere more accessible than we are now. That will be our first project. Also looking forward to holidays in term time!

4. seasoned

seasoned New commenter

A treat for me is not having bells ringing, no timetables, no ' drop ins', no pm reviews, no more Faculty meetings with pointless agendas, no all staff training sessions on ' How to talk parents'...' after 36 years of teaching, no more patronising discussions with colleagues in their mid-twenties who think they've got all the answers,.... Early retirement is wonderful...... :)

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Exactly that. Only last week,I felt rage,powerless and tearful when,having spent 2 hours inputting data in the tracking system,I discovered than my HoD had implemented an altogether new tracking system.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes, my husband is the same. Technically he works part-time now, ie 3-4 days a week, but now the season's here it's moved up to 5-6 days as he's recovering well and honestly needs the stimulation of work. His father took till 70 to 'fully retire and I suspect my husband will be similar.;)

thistledoo, frangipani123 and bevdex like this.
  7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Well I could have retired at 58 when my knees were such a problem (they are still a problem and if anyone on here has similar knee problems and NHS dr tries to tell you, you are "too young" for a new knee..... tell them in no uncertain terms to fork off and to give you a new knee(s). I have no doubt I wouldn't be in the state I am in had I had the left knee repaired when I was 58. There would have been less strain on - at that time - on my right knee which also became damaged, less mobility led to weight gain as I struggled to move. I would far rather have kept my mobility through my 60s and gone to crutches, wheelchair (I have had to buy one from the pestering of my kids - and I hate it with a vengeance !) in my 70s. I feel my 60s have been a bit of a disaster zone with no sign of any improvement!
    Anyway..... I accessed teacher pension, and a delayed state pension (yes I am one of the fed up 50s women) but really I decided to keep on working with kids out of school as it kept me having to get myself out of the house and moving my carcass. The other problem I have is that MrREMfan is a good 9 years younger than me so has to work for quite some time yet. We don't actually get that much time together as he works 2 - 11 most shifts and it works out probably 3/4 weekends.
    We have however moved from a 4 bed detached house to a 3 bed detached bungalow...... and not really lost too much space. So far I do really like it here as like the other house it is quiet, easier to take the dogs out as we can go straight out of the garden gate and into parkland. If we had both been retired I would have loved to get a bungalow on Anglesey - perfection would have been a sea view but I'll not get to that. If I did retire I would like to do some watercolour painting as I did 5 day course of it when on a cruise and really liked it.
    I think my biggest hope is to see both the girls more settled - the younger with someone to be with and the elder to move on from all her medical issues. ( I had better not hold my breath there )

8. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I almost died some years ago. I was pricked on the left wrist and developed a streptococcal infection which is a 99.5% killer. There are so many streptococcal infections that finding the right antibiotic to kill it is almost impossible. So, spending money is a low priority. I'm enjoying writing poetry for the children of the world, encouraged by children in my local primary school initially. I'm making friends now with children worldwide and their lovely teachers via skype visits to their classrooms. Having been a teacher, and loving every minute of my time with young people, I'm in heaven being back in the classroom and doing something that is useful to lots of people. The money I spend is my annual subscription of about £75 to the people who own my websites (although these 5 websites I've made myself.) I've now written about 1,800 poems I think. It's difficult counting so many and, whilst I'm doing this, I write another poem and the figure will be incorrect. ha ha

thistledoo likes this.